Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
loading the bobbin in a 1949 Singer model 66-16 >

loading the bobbin in a 1949 Singer model 66-16

loading the bobbin in a 1949 Singer model 66-16

Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 PM

I don't know if this is a new topic or one that has been plowed over many times. I am new to this site and also to sewing. I recently inherited an old Singer referenced above. I contacted Singer and had them send me a 'Historical copy of the 66-16's owners manual.' On page 10 under the topic of ..'To replace the bobbin,' it says in part...hold the bobbin between thumb and forefinger of left hand, the thread leading on to from RIGHT TO LEFT, as shown in Fig.6. This seems to me to be counterintuitive. The bobbin would then be turning counterclockwise in the bobbin case. Their are two notches that the bobbin thread has to pass through before exiting the machine. I tried to load the bobbin as per the instructions and it didn't work. How about turning the bobbin so that it turns clockwise? Please advise
Thanks
evensteven
Old 05-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Is this a top loading bobbin? All my machines work like your directions indicate. When holding the bobbin in your left hand the thread should be going couter-clockwise before dropping it in the bobbin case. I'm not at my machine, so I can't explain getting the thread through the two notches. It's one of those things you do automatically without thinking.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 PM

hello donna jean,

Yes, this is a top loading machine. The bobbin drops in from the top. What I discovered, is that if I load the bobbin so that the thread runs clockwise, the machine seems to sew just fine. What are your thoughts? I believe that the older Singers used a slightly smaller diameter bobbin. My Juki and my Bernina use a slightly larger size bobbin.

Regards
Steven
evensteven
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM

You know, I think I do put my bobbin in with the thread going clockwise, & then you pull the thread back counterclockwise after catching it in the notch.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Donna Jean,

You do have a Singer 66-16? The 16 indicates that my machine is a non-tredle(sp). Their are two notches inside the bobbin case. After I load the bobbin clockwise, I pass the thtread from left to right, first through the left side notch and then through the right side notch. I pull about 10cm. of thread, close the cover and pass the thread through the slit in the cover. I manually move the needle down and up, thereby catching the bobbin thread. Does any of that sound familiar?
Regards
evensteven
Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM

I do not have a singer 66-16, but I've used many machines and the top loading machines usually have bobbins that load the same way. I've been sewing for about 60 yrs.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Bobbins are always loaded with the thread coming off the bobbin in the same direction as the point of the thread slot in the bobbin case, be it drop-in or hand held.
This is a trick taught to me maybe 50 yrs ago.
It always works.
Phyllis
70 yrs quilting
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM

My older Singer machines have directions that say the bobbin turns counter clockwise. They are top loading. My Bernina directions call for the bobbin to turn clockwise. The bobbin loads from under the machine.
The Bernina repair man told me this and in all my great wisdom I told him I had never put a bobbin in a machine to turn clockwise. Then the manual came out to check the directions. His reasoning was that the tension is better if the bobbin turns clockwise on the Bernina. It seems to sew fine either way so would guess the Singer would also.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Helo Quilt Fan

You are absolutely correct. The Singer instructions call for the bobbin to br inserted counterclockwise. I inserted it clockwise. It sews just fine. Thanks for your input.

Regards
Evensteven
Steven
California
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Thks for all these posts re: bobbin in the 66 Singer. I bought one of these a few years ago at a yard sale for $10. I love it, but had the same bobbin problem. Haven't used the machine in months. thks again everyone.