Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Free-Westinghouse Vintage Sewing Machine - Help finding more information (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/free-westinghouse-vintage-sewing-machine-help-finding-more-information-t47218.html)

oatw13 05-26-2010 06:27 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired a vintage sewing machine that is branded Free-Westinghouse.

I have been searching online for hours and I have not been able to find any useful information. I would love to find a manual for this model or something similar.

Here is what I know from the machine:

*It was made by the Free Sewing Machine Co. in Rockford, Illinois, USA.
*It is a model 303 according to the badge.
*There is a patent number stamped on one of the silver discs on the back: PAT 407045.
*The badge reads Free-Westinghouse.
*The number 4003 is stamped into the metal underneath.
*The plate states it was Made in Japan.
*It has a built in light rather than the type that attaches behind.

The case is a little rough, but the machine runs like a champ. I am having one cord replaced as it was very old and brittle. I cannot locate anything other than the "4003" that could be a serial number.

I would love to find more information about this machine or a similar one. However, I am not finding much on the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

sewgull 05-26-2010 06:31 PM

She is a beauty. Sorry I can't help.

CAROLJ 05-26-2010 06:39 PM

That is a pretty machine, I like that blue!

QuiltingQueen 05-26-2010 06:39 PM

Wow! Very pretty!

thequilterslink 05-26-2010 06:55 PM

Great Machine, love it!

hazeljane 05-26-2010 06:55 PM

Ooooh. She's very very pretty- check with Billy (Lostn51) or post this on his vintage machine thread. He loves the Japanese machines and he knows a lot about them. He's your best bet.

oatw13 05-26-2010 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I think she is pretty, too.

I wasn't sure if I could post directly to the Vintage Machine thread. I didn't see anywhere to start a new thread there.

I will try Billy, though.

CarrieAnne 05-26-2010 07:22 PM

Wow, its really cute, and I sure love the color!

Charlee 05-26-2010 07:32 PM

Oat...you can add this thread to the Vintage Shoppe threads at the bottom of the thread....see where it says, "Add this topic to a virtual section"? Click that and select the Vintage Shoppe....Billy will be sure to see it then! :)

Lostn51 05-26-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Oat...you can add this thread to the Vintage Shoppe threads at the bottom of the thread....see where it says, "Add this topic to a virtual section"? Click that and select the Vintage Shoppe....Billy will be sure to see it then! :)

I already added the Virtual Section and if you want to add it to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Just post in there.

I really like your machine but as with a lot of the Japanese 15's they are nearly impossible to pin down a manufacturer. I have been working on the research for it and I am probably 2 years out from having any answers. But I am loving the color!!

I can tell you that it was not made by Koyu-Seiko or Seiko that I am sure of. I am taking the information that you submitted and adding it to my data base so I can use it to figure the manufacturer out.

Billy