Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Free-Westinghouse Vintage Sewing Machine - Help finding more information

  1. #1
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    I recently acquired a vintage sewing machine that is branded Free-Westinghouse.

    I have been searching online for hours and I have not been able to find any useful information. I would love to find a manual for this model or something similar.

    Here is what I know from the machine:

    *It was made by the Free Sewing Machine Co. in Rockford, Illinois, USA.
    *It is a model 303 according to the badge.
    *There is a patent number stamped on one of the silver discs on the back: PAT 407045.
    *The badge reads Free-Westinghouse.
    *The number 4003 is stamped into the metal underneath.
    *The plate states it was Made in Japan.
    *It has a built in light rather than the type that attaches behind.

    The case is a little rough, but the machine runs like a champ. I am having one cord replaced as it was very old and brittle. I cannot locate anything other than the "4003" that could be a serial number.

    I would love to find more information about this machine or a similar one. However, I am not finding much on the internet.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images









  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,247
    She is a beauty. Sorry I can't help.

  3. #3
    Super Member CAROLJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    Posts
    1,895
    That is a pretty machine, I like that blue!

  4. #4
    Junior Member QuiltingQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SCF WI
    Posts
    186
    Wow! Very pretty!

  5. #5
    Super Member thequilterslink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    2,682
    Great Machine, love it!

  6. #6
    a regular here hazeljane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    820
    Ooooh. She's very very pretty- check with Billy (Lostn51) or post this on his vintage machine thread. He loves the Japanese machines and he knows a lot about them. He's your best bet.

  7. #7
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    Thanks everyone. I think she is pretty, too.

    I wasn't sure if I could post directly to the Vintage Machine thread. I didn't see anywhere to start a new thread there.

    I will try Billy, though.

  8. #8
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Wow, its really cute, and I sure love the color!

  9. #9
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Oat...you can add this thread to the Vintage Shoppe threads at the bottom of the thread....see where it says, "Add this topic to a virtual section"? Click that and select the Vintage Shoppe....Billy will be sure to see it then! :)

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Oat...you can add this thread to the Vintage Shoppe threads at the bottom of the thread....see where it says, "Add this topic to a virtual section"? Click that and select the Vintage Shoppe....Billy will be sure to see it then! :)
    I already added the Virtual Section and if you want to add it to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Just post in there.

    I really like your machine but as with a lot of the Japanese 15's they are nearly impossible to pin down a manufacturer. I have been working on the research for it and I am probably 2 years out from having any answers. But I am loving the color!!

    I can tell you that it was not made by Koyu-Seiko or Seiko that I am sure of. I am taking the information that you submitted and adding it to my data base so I can use it to figure the manufacturer out.

    Billy

  11. #11
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    cool machine, but sorry can't help with any info

  12. #12
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    Charlee and Billy - thanks for the help with getting this into the Vintage section.

    And, Billy, thanks for taking a look. If you ever find anything out, I would love to know.

    I will keep digging. Maybe one day I will find something! If I do, I will be sure to let everyone know.

    :)

  13. #13
    Super Member LoisN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Posts
    1,267
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Fre...=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&safe=strict&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Ysv-S6bRBoH-8AbW9MSkDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&r esnum=1&ved=0CCcQrQQwAA
    I just googled and got a page of hits with manuals, etc. Good luck.

  14. #14
    Super Member quilt addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,706
    Beautiful machine. For some reason I am partial to blue ones. I hope you enjoy it.

  15. #15
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    What a beautiful machine! I love the blue color!!

  16. #16
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by LoisN
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Fre...=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&safe=strict&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Ysv-S6bRBoH-8AbW9MSkDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&r esnum=1&ved=0CCcQrQQwAA
    I just googled and got a page of hits with manuals, etc. Good luck.
    Thanks. I will look through this. I have looked at so many sites! Maybe if I contact some of these sellers with similar looking machines.... I just can't find anything for the model 303. But, maybe this machine was also branded under another name with a different, more popular model. Who knows? The search goes on.

    I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback. :)

  17. #17
    cjr
    cjr is offline
    Super Member cjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    1,407
    Oat,
    Just read post about your sewing machine. Love it. My husband worked for Wesinghouse for over 30 years. At picnics & Holiday parties, small appliances with the W name on were given as door prizes. Most were well made, we still have a couple around here. Some of these were mfg. by someone else with the W name on. I have never seen Free Westinghouse, however. Some were made by GE or RCA. Also for many years RCA made Sears products, you might try looking under Kenmore, which is Sears brand.

    Hope this helps. And all this because you were looking for lego fabric.

  18. #18
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by cjr
    Oat,
    Just read post about your sewing machine. Love it. My husband worked for Wesinghouse for over 30 years. At picnics & Holiday parties, small appliances with the W name on were given as door prizes. Most were well made, we still have a couple around here. Some of these were mfg. by someone else with the W name on. I have never seen Free Westinghouse, however. Some were made by GE or RCA. Also for many years RCA made Sears products, you might try looking under Kenmore, which is Sears brand.

    Hope this helps. And all this because you were looking for lego fabric.
    lol

    That is really interesting. I haven't found any further info, so this is really good to know. It gives me another direction to look.

    Thanks! :)

  19. #19
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    27,142
    Pretty machine!

  20. #20
    Super Member lawsonmugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    Quote Originally Posted by cjr
    Oat,
    Just read post about your sewing machine. Love it. My husband worked for Wesinghouse for over 30 years. At picnics & Holiday parties, small appliances with the W name on were given as door prizes. Most were well made, we still have a couple around here. Some of these were mfg. by someone else with the W name on. I have never seen Free Westinghouse, however. Some were made by GE or RCA. Also for many years RCA made Sears products, you might try looking under Kenmore, which is Sears brand.

    Hope this helps. And all this because you were looking for lego fabric.
    lol

    That is really interesting. I haven't found any further info, so this is really good to know. It gives me another direction to look.

    Thanks! :)
    I have pm'd you about my machine like this one. although everyone seems to see blue mine is a pretty light green.please read the pm I sent you. thanks Mary

  21. #21
    Senior Member Baysidegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    997
    Gorgeous! I am really into Japanese SM's. Maybe because they are so easy to use AND so sturdy. I am working on a Mercury Electric Dial-O-Matic that is so awesome. Once I finish cleaning it up, I will post pics.

  22. #22
    Super Member Rumbols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,326
    Congrats. You will love sewing with it. I love the Japanese machines my self. I just recently got a Vogue Stitch blue metal SM. I am sending it to Billy for a spa treatment with then next month.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lincoln City, OR
    Posts
    1
    I just bought one exactly like this at the Goodwill! Would love some info, too.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southeast Georgia
    Posts
    2,522
    I just bought this same machine and haven't been able to find out anything about it. The guy I bought it from said he got it from an estate sale. He rehabs old machines and sells them, but said he'd never seen one like this. We'll just keep searching!

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,598
    What a beautiful color! Please keep up posted whe you find new information for your machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.