Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   GE Model A "Pre-Featherweight" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/ge-model-pre-featherweight-t211885.html)

SteveH 01-26-2013 04:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok, I LOVE this conversation, allow me to add evidence to the case... (as it were)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390918[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390919[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390920[/ATTACH]

SteveH 01-26-2013 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the enclosed manual....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390921[/ATTACH]

BoJangles 01-27-2013 06:45 AM

Well, I am convinced not only was the FW copied from G.E.'s Model A, but they also copied the carrying case! I want to find one of those little green machines, but they are not easy to find!

Singer took the design and improved it by making a folding extension bed, making the head out of aluminum where as the Model A was cast iron. Reverse was also added - the Model A doesn't have reverse. Singer also made a much better stitch regulator on the FW. But, Singer retained the rotary hook design because of the continous and smooth circular movement of the stitch forming mechanism, which was necessary to keep such a lightweight machine from walking around when sewing. Singer also improved on the bobbin's access, and the bobbin winder. On the Model A, you have to run the stitching mechanism in order to wind a bobbin. The FW has a stop motion screw allowing you to run the bobbin winder without running the needle and drive parts.

Knowing all this, I can see why the little green GE Model A didn't take off like the FW did. I can also see why collectors want one of those little machines! Now, because of you, that little green G.E. Model A is on my wish list!

Thank you Steve.

Nancy

grant15clone 01-27-2013 07:38 AM

Oh boy. I just saw something on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Elec...70924600265%26
~G~

marsmec 01-27-2013 11:17 AM

I have one, too!

Found mine in a sewing machine shop window about 25 years ago. Paid $20.00. It looks and runs great. I've not see another one.

Korak 12-21-2013 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The link posted earlier worked for me.
I'm new here and I am a husband dragged kicking and screaming into the quilt world. I have one of these Model As. Also a 52 Featherweight, a 52 301 and two Model 99s one of which is the black krinkle paint job but with all the nickel pieces still.
The case for my "A" is shot but it is an original GE.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452718[/ATTACH]

Caroline S 12-21-2013 02:22 PM

Welcome Korak to the vintage world here. I love how your machine is all ready for Christmas.

lovelyl 12-21-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Korak (Post 6467730)
The link posted earlier worked for me.
I'm new here and I am a husband dragged kicking and screaming into the quilt world. I have one of these Model As. Also a 52 Featherweight, a 52 301 and two Model 99s one of which is the black krinkle paint job but with all the nickel pieces still.
The case for my "A" is shot but it is an original GE.

Welcome from SW Ohio! Sounds like you already have quite a collection. Love your GE!

Rodney 12-21-2013 03:01 PM

Welcome aboard Korak. You'll find a few other men here. I wasn't dragged kicking and screaming. I jumped in with both feet when my daughter decided she wanted to learn to sew. After playing a bit with vintage machines I have a hard time taking the modern plastic wonders seriously. Those model A's are neat looking little machines. Now I want one too.
Rodney

vmaniqui 12-21-2013 03:23 PM

Hey korak & steveh

We are 'a few good men' here. I myself wasn't dragged as I've been kicking the sewing machine treadle since I was 12 and the machine has been screaming for me since then. I dragged my wife into sewing but not into antique machines yet. Nice machine you both have there. Welcome korak.