Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do you treadlers do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-treadlers-do-t206768.html)

MimiBug123 11-24-2012 09:31 AM

I think once you get your rhythm, you will be fine. I treadle with my right foot forward and my left foot back. When I want to stop I press the treadle completely down with my left foot and the machine stops on a dime. I've been working on the fans for a dresden plate and haven't had a bit of trouble. You'll get it!

J Miller 11-24-2012 10:47 AM

MimiBug,

What is a "Dresden plate"?

Joe

JudyTheSewer 11-24-2012 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5676120)
While I was fighting with this thing last night, that is what I did. Cleaned the big wheel grove and the belt. Then shortened it.
Didn't seem to help any. I might just try cleaning it some more. That can't hurt. And I think I could shorten the belt a bit more too.

Joe

I'm using oxygen tubes for belts. I cleaned the treadle wheel and the machine head wheel with alcohol (vodka). I kept the dampened cloth against the wheel surface while treadling the machine. I was amazed at the gunk! I repeated until the cloth remained clean.

MimiBug123 11-24-2012 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5676724)
MimiBug,

What is a "Dresden plate"?

Joe

It's a quilt pattern that has little "spoked" pieces radiating out from a center circle. It's very vintage and one of my favorites. You have to sew across the little ends of the spoke pieces, so it's lots of stopping and starting. DH wanted to know why I was doing it on that machine instead of one of the electric ones. I just felt like doing it on a treadle. Yes, he thinks I'm nuts.

thepolyparrot 11-24-2012 10:01 PM

Sorry, Joe, I wasn't paying any attention to who was asking for help.

miriam 11-25-2012 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5676775)
I'm using oxygen tubes for belts. I cleaned the treadle wheel and the machine head wheel with alcohol (vodka). I kept the dampened cloth against the wheel surface while treadling the machine. I was amazed at the gunk! I repeated until the cloth remained clean.

Cool if you drink enough of the Vodka it won't matter if the machine treadles right or not!!!

lovelyl 11-25-2012 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5677909)
Cool if you drink enough of the Vodka it won't matter if the machine treadles right or not!!!

:D You made me laugh this morning! Thanks! :D

donna13350 11-25-2012 05:37 AM

My neighbor is in her 70's, and has several treadles that she uses to sew leather...she still operates a small business doing leather repair and making new items...anyway...she takes a piece of sandpaper and roughens up her new belts...she says they grab better that way...

J Miller 11-25-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 (Post 5678165)
My neighbor is in her 70's, and has several treadles that she uses to sew leather...she still operates a small business doing leather repair and making new items...anyway...she takes a piece of sandpaper and roughens up her new belts...she says they grab better that way...

Now that I can do.

Joe

Monroe 11-25-2012 08:56 AM

I read somewhere that a few spots of violin bow rosin adds enough "grab" for aquarium tubing. You probably don't have some on hand, do you?