Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I Am My Brother's Keeper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-am-my-brothers-keeper-t208128.html)

vanginney 12-10-2012 07:48 PM

I love the color! And that it was in your family makes it extra special!

quiltjoey 12-10-2012 07:55 PM

That is a beauty! Was it your Mom's and did your Dad keep it because it was her? It must have been special for him to have kept a long time!
I love vintage machines. I didn't know the "Brother" machines had been around very long. I hope you keep and enjoy your "find"...

sharon b 12-10-2012 08:00 PM

She sure is Pretty in Pink :) Maybe set her out in the sun/heat to air her out ? I knew cases held an odor- didn't know machines would since they are metal hhhhhmmmmmm

Welcome to the Vintage family :D

mighty 12-10-2012 08:44 PM

What a beautiful machine!!!!!

audsgirl 12-10-2012 11:35 PM

This would be pretty just as decoration. The fact that it stitches well is so much gravy. Neat find!

patricej 12-11-2012 03:58 AM

having missed it completely the first 72 times i looked, i just noticed the model number printed inside the throat.
on the 75th go-round, i found the serial number.
no luck so far locating a source for a manual.

it's a pink & (beige?/tan?) colored Model 220 Super Streamliner.
there's one on ebay for - get this - $239.95, plus shipping.
it has the original case and foot pedal, but ... really? $300 by the time you factor in shipping?
puleeze ... as if ... whatever. LOL

curiosity got the better of me so i went hunting through my jumble of miscellaneous extra feet and gadgets.
i found a few vintage feet that fit; some specialty feet; and an adapter for snap-on feet.
i have more than a dozen of the metal bobbins, plus an extra bobbin case.
(the bobbin winder is a pain in the butt to use so far. no manual, so i can't tell whether it's the winder or the user. LOL)

i suppose it would be cool to find the correct foot pedal and case, but i don't plan to try selling it so i don't suppose that matters over-much.

the plastic carrying case is good enough for hauling it from one place to another.
it isn't sturdy enough to handle the weight of the machine so it sits flush like it should.
so, more important, i think to eventually find a nice little table or cabinet for it - on wheels - so i can take it into the living room if i want to use it while watching the boob-tube.
i don't know whether any members of my guild are vintage collectors.
if any are, i guess i'll take it to a meeting to show it off.

for now, it's a significant hassle to drag it out for use.
i'll do that every so often to keep it from freezing up again.
and to fiddle with the bobbin winder until i figure out how to tame it. LOL

abdconsultant 12-11-2012 04:14 AM

Great machine, find a sturdy table to put it in and use it.

nanna-up-north 12-11-2012 04:41 AM

Oh, she's sew pretty!! and, she looks sew nice and clean. You're going to enjoy her sew much!!! I think it's really cool to sew on a family machine.

Jingle 12-11-2012 05:26 AM

It sure is pretty. I have one from the 50s that was never used. I have pieced several quilts on it but, it isn't as nice as the newer machines to use. I hope you can get the bobbin winder going.

MamaBear61 12-11-2012 05:36 AM

Patrice your brother sure is PURDY! I simply love the colour :-)