Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm so lucky... found a FW for 40$ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-so-lucky-found-fw-40%24-t230410.html)

tenngal 09-17-2013 11:44 AM

You are one lucky woman!

FLQ 09-18-2013 04:18 AM

Luck and living in the right area seem to make he difference with vintage machine discovery. I never find good deals where I live. I do ave several vintage beauties including 2 FWs and 2 Bernina's but they were not super bargains. I love them nonetheless. Congrats on your treasures.

profannie 09-18-2013 05:42 AM

It`s true, FLQ; area is everything when it comes to finding vintage beauties. On Ontario's / Canada Kijiji ads, the price asked for sewing machine is twice the one asked for Quebec's / Canada ads. It may have something to do with how much quilting and sewing are popular as a hobby. Or it may be related to language: there's a lot of information on the web for one who can read english, not that much in french.

jbj137 09-18-2013 12:47 PM

YaHHHHHHHH for you.
You will love it.

KyKaren1949 09-18-2013 01:56 PM

Re: "It sews, but I think it has the wrong bobbin" You may have to find some of the original bobbins to get it to cooperate with you. My white featherweight will only work with the original bobbins that came with the Featherweights. I have tried new bobbins from every source without success for her. And yes, birds nests are exactly what I get when I try anything but the older versions.

Carol34446 09-18-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by FLQ (Post 6300531)
Luck and living in the right area seem to make he difference with vintage machine discovery. I never find good deals where I live. I do ave several vintage beauties including 2 FWs and 2 Bernina's but they were not super bargains. I love them nonetheless. Congrats on your treasures.

FLQ I too live in N central FL 40 miles SW of Ocala and 70N of Tampa in Homosassa, and old machines here are NOT reasonable usually. I got two tredle and a singer in nice cabinet reasonable only because friends run estate sales and when Gary knew I wanted them, I got them. I am still waiting for a FW. Cannot afford the $300 the ususally want here.
Happy you got such a great buy and post pictures, love to look at them.

red-warrior 09-18-2013 04:05 PM

Wow fantastic find and bro who went to get it!

jimsjunque 09-18-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 (Post 6299283)
Lucky you! Congrats. Wish I could be so lucky and find a 301 that cheap. Enjoy your FW.

Hey Linda, This is Linda, My last 301 was $35.00 in a cabinet from St. Vincent De Paul. She's a beauty. Sorry I can't send photos. Got her last March, 2012.Came with toys, bobbin case(the most important piece, most expensive to replace), manual, great condition. Keeping looking, they're out there. Good Luck!!!!!

Janis 09-18-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 (Post 6301517)
Re: "It sews, but I think it has the wrong bobbin" You may have to find some of the original bobbins to get it to cooperate with you. My white featherweight will only work with the original bobbins that came with the Featherweights. I have tried new bobbins from every source without success for her. And yes, birds nests are exactly what I get when I try anything but the older versions.

karen, and others that are having trouble with FW bobbins. Have you tried ordering some from sew-classic? Theirs work great in my featherweight machines. Don't get the ones at Joann's and other places like that. Usually they don't work as well.
Janis