Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Mint green machine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/mint-green-machine-t210269.html)

vanginney 01-06-2013 12:30 PM

Mint green machine.

2 Attachment(s)
I got this for $20, love the colour, and its made in Canada. It says its a 185J 1954, JD861550. The belt is dried so I took it off to replace it. The petal is rusted to crud. Any suggestions? Oh and some smuck engraved an annoying number on the bed of the machine - people are so weird. You can't see it in the pic - but it is there. Regardless, it will suit me fine. The case is in wonderful condition too. When I opened the machine up to oil, I don't think anyone used it - it was so clean of fuzz.

My favorite part is there is a mini button beside the bobbin to 'pop' it up to take it out - never saw anything like it - cute. Don't know anything about this type of machine, will have to read up on it and find a manual.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386229[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]386230[/ATTACH]

Candace 01-06-2013 12:46 PM

The engraving may be a # to keep track of inventory like if it was used in a school setting etc. I have this machine, a 185K.

TinkerQuilts 01-06-2013 01:02 PM

What a pretty little machine. Hope you get her running soon.

vanginney 01-06-2013 01:35 PM

Yeah, she doesn't run. Candace, which way does flat part of the needle face? When I took it out it was towards the right. I tried both left and right....it is the upper thread which is bring up a loops? Also in the bobbin area, my bobbin casing is slightly wobbly.....took it all apart and can't find a obvious screw to tighten up.....I found a threading chart so the upper threading is right - not sure why the loops. Any suggestions?

I think I am just missing something small...

nygal 01-06-2013 01:40 PM

Wow..what a cute machine. I love the color and that low price!!!

vanginney 01-06-2013 02:02 PM

thx!

Got her running....needed a longer needle and the flat part needed to face right...which is opposite to anything else I have. She sews a nice even seam with my manual crank for now... Can't wait to replace the belt tomorrow, so I can sew something up.

J Miller 01-06-2013 03:13 PM

The 185J/K is basically a model 99 internally. I had one, for long enough to clean it and make it go. Then my wife stole it from me.

If you don't have a bobbin cover plate you can get it, the foot controller, and belt from Sew-Classic.

Joe

deedum 01-06-2013 04:10 PM

Oh I have that lovely machine and she is a favorite of mine. Sews like a dream! Yep you got a keeper there.

Candace 01-06-2013 05:51 PM

Are you sure the correct bobbin is in the machine? Just because it came with a bobbin, doesn't mean it's the right one:> There should be a free manual on the net if you search, this will show you correct needle placement and threading.

Patty55 01-07-2013 12:22 AM

What a great deal. I love the green!