Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Newest adoptee - Singer 328K (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/newest-adoptee-singer-328k-t217412.html)

Mizkaki 03-31-2013 02:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Joe,

I got my hands on a 328K with the light stitch. Here are a few pictures. It looks like the inside connectors have been
changed. I believe that the switch is probably original.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]405585[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405586[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405587[/ATTACH]

Cathy

J Miller 03-31-2013 04:01 PM

Cathy,

Thanks a bunch. That is pretty much how I thought it would be wired. I might even have a switch around here to do that with.

Joe

J Miller 04-02-2013 02:06 PM

Well, my newest adoptee needed a new belt. I tried all I had here and none fit. So I ordered one from Sew-Classic. Her chart says a 193077 fits the 328s. Well when it got here yesterday it did fit, but loosely even with the adjuster all the way out. Hmmmm, well I can use that belt on other machines so no biggie.

Today I went to the LSMG and his book said the same thing and his 193077 was too loose too. We ended up using an Alpha-Sew 1514 belt even though I didn't really want an orange cogged belt.

We discussed the light switch issue and he said there was three machines in that series. The 327, 328, and 329. His comment was the light switch was on one of the other series. Not sure I agree with him as the machine Mizkaki showed is a 328 with a switch.
I think, believe, my theory that the switch was a production change that came later in the model is more likely.

Joe

pegstar 04-08-2013 11:37 AM

301's don't have a light switch either or an on and off switch .......just plug them in & go!
Peg

miriam 04-09-2013 03:21 AM

I haven't seen one with a switch either. Great machine though. Not the top of the line but better than what you can buy now days.

Jingle 04-09-2013 09:44 AM

I bought a Singer 328K brand new about 1963. It has no light switch nor do my newer machines - a Juki TL98QE - without the extension table and my Baby Lock Jane. My manual for the 328K looks much different from the one shown here. Mine has an old 1950s panel truck used for deliveries at that time a Singer Sewing Machine Shop. I'm not sure if they refer to it as a style-o-matic or not. I have about a million miles on it and the original belt is still in good condition and is not a plastic cogged belt. I have all the cams and everything else that it came with. I sewed clothes for myself and three kids plus pieced several quilts and made doll clothes. The kids got older and didn't want to wear homemade clothes. It is safe to say I used it for the better part of 30 years. It still works very well, only serviced about 3-4 times. Some was my fault. I kept it oiled and greased. I think the foot pedal was replaced because it would get hot. I paid $300.00 at least for it - not considered low end for that year. Today that would convert to over$ 2,000.00. I can't be exact until I find the receipt for it. I'm at work and not sure when I will remember to look for it. Not everything on the 'net is true and exact. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mine has a metal tag on the front saying "made in Great Britain"

J Miller 04-09-2013 11:03 AM

Jingle,

Thanks for the review on the 328. I see nothing about this machine that would make me think it was a second line. The one I got was ... well not abused but not taken care of. By the rust and corrosion on it, and the decayed belt, I'd say it was stored in an environment hostile to the plastic the belt was made of, and near salt water.
The top and motor cover will be painted in the near future. The damaged paint on it even bugs me.

I've got it cleaned up and working now. The black V-belt is working well and unless it stretches should be no trouble.

I've started a Whacky Bag with it, and have been corralling all our flat cams to do a test pattern with it. So far it's working really good. I've got #s 1-31 and #37 so that about covers most of them I think.

I don't know what I'm going to do with this machine, I guess if I keep it I might put it in a treadle cabinet. It would full fill that task very well.

$300.00 new in 63 was a chunk of cash. Not a second line of merchandise at all to my way of thinking.

Joe

Prim Quilts 06-30-2013 07:16 AM

I just picked up a 328 at an Estate Sale. It doesn't have a light switch. It is in a portable case, but the latch on one side is broken. For the life of me I can't get it out of the plastic bottom case. I wanted to clean it and oil it. The machine itself doesn't really look used.....not a scratch, however, there was sooooooo much lint packed in around the bobbin area, I know it was used a lot. It is rather loud..........another reason I was wanting in there to oil the bottom. It came with some cams.

miriam 06-30-2013 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Prim Quilts (Post 6151685)
I just picked up a 328 at an Estate Sale. It doesn't have a light switch. It is in a portable case, but the latch on one side is broken. For the life of me I can't get it out of the plastic bottom case. I wanted to clean it and oil it. The machine itself doesn't really look used.....not a scratch, however, there was sooooooo much lint packed in around the bobbin area, I know it was used a lot. It is rather loud..........another reason I was wanting in there to oil the bottom. It came with some cams.

can you shoot a pic of the bottom? Some of them have screws in the middle of the base and others are held on by the feet. Some times both.

frudemoo 06-30-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Prim Quilts (Post 6151685)
For the life of me I can't get it out of the plastic bottom case.

I have a 328P (made in Australia) and had the same issue. There is a long bolt holding it on, as Miriam has suggested.
If you need a manual, PM me as I have an original :)