Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Number 7? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/number-7-a-t209587.html)

vanginney 12-29-2012 05:00 PM

Number 7?

1 Attachment(s)
Just wondering it this is an ok price? He would like $55. I am not sure what model this is....I asked for the serial number, but he didn't email it...I am not sure if this is going to be my lucky number 7 machine. Advice greatly appreciated. Considering my finds have have been free to $20. $55 seems too high.

quiltingcandy 12-29-2012 05:30 PM

Oh my, I just gave one of those to a friend of mine. I needed the space and she wanted a back-up machine. I had originally paid a friend $45.00 for it - I already had the cabinet. Personally I like the stool - it looks like the one my mother had which somehow disappeared. Have you sewn on it? It is an extremely heavy duty type machine, mine sewed thru layers of denim like it was nothing. Once I got my 15-91 I didn't need it anymore. Afraid that doesn't answer whether it is worth $55.00 or not. That would depend on how well it sews, what you need it for and will you use it?

My cabinet looked like that but it was from the 80's and that was not a drawer in front, the handle was just a decoration. Since I got the machine from a friend I have no idea how old it was.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

vanginney 12-29-2012 05:36 PM

Haven't sewn on it. It is the original owners son who is selling it...thanks for the feedback. I think I might let this one go...I only quilt, so I don't find myself needing and industrial machine for denim. Thanks again.

J Miller 12-29-2012 06:46 PM

vanginney,

That isn't an industrial machine. Just a 70s vintage Singer simple ZZ machine. I don't know the model of it, but it could be an early one with steel gears. At that point I'd say yes it would be worth the $55.00. If not to you, then at least to someone else.

Joe

Mom3 12-30-2012 01:15 AM

Looks like an earlier Singer model 237. I say earlier because it does not have the feed dog drop knob.

I have (had) two 237's with the feed dog drop. I gave one to my son and my Sis has 'borrowed' the other. I am on the lookout for another one.

I like them. They are all metal. Strong machines but in no way would I call it an industrial machine.

$55? I got my last one for $20 in a portable case.

Queen 12-30-2012 04:28 AM

I have one upstairs and it has nylon gears and waiting to be fixed. I would not pay 55.00 for it, that is just my opinion.Mary

danade 12-30-2012 08:55 AM

Cabinet and stool look cute. Machine looks crummy and not worth $5. If want the cabinet and stool--then maybe $25. IMO only, of course.

J Miller 12-30-2012 09:27 AM

You'd be surprised how many of my "nice" machines looked crummy before I worked 'em over.

Joe

Pat M. 12-30-2012 10:49 AM

It looks like the one I used to have. Worked OK until the plastic gears wore out.

Prim Quilts 12-30-2012 12:05 PM

I have one of these I bought a couple of months ago at a thrift shop for $5.00. It is a Singer Fashion Mate 237. I use it a lot and I love it, but $55 seems high to me. I tried taking it quilting last month, and I won't do that again.......too heavy. I'll stick with the featherweight.