Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   To paint, or not to paint (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/paint-not-paint-t176703.html)

kountrykreation 01-23-2012 01:37 PM

To paint, or not to paint

I stumbled across a centennial Featherweight in good condition... for a mere six dollars and forty five cents. Yep, believe it or not, and it purrs like a charm. It does have a couple very small bare spots in the paint, so after cleaning it up, I've been contemplating repainting it. What's holding me back from this final decision is the effect on resale value, if any, that comes w/ repainting these old machines. I personally really love the shiny new and wild colors I've seen on these old machines, but does repainting them take away from any future resale value, or not? Thanks for any advise/opinions.

Up North 01-23-2012 01:44 PM

At this point if you covered it with buttons you could still make money on it! LOL What a super deal!

valleyquiltermo 01-23-2012 02:16 PM

I agree with Up North, you will love her sew much that you'll have her forever. Your kids may sale and who cares for what as long as you have enjoyed her.

quilt addict 01-23-2012 03:10 PM

I am not sure but I think the price on the repainted ones is comparable with the originals. So unless there was something significantly special about your particular machine I would say it would not effect the current price. Who knows what they will be going for in 20 years.

Charlee 01-23-2012 03:30 PM

Contrary to their pricing, Featherweights are not rare. Getting one for six dollars and fourty five cents is tho!! :)

I agree with Lisa, I don't think the repainted machines are any less valuable than are the originals. (Stay away from orange tho, that one down south doesn't seem to be selling on ebay or craig's list! LOL )

Candace 01-23-2012 03:45 PM

I agree with Charlee. Do what you want. It's not like you're going to be out any money. Sewing machines ARE NOT investments and should be used and enjoyed.

janeite 01-23-2012 04:01 PM

I am sure if you stick to a desired color like red you will come out on top.

There must be something in the air...all these FW deals that people are posting about are making me so jealous! And we need more details please! Did you find it at a garage sale, pawn shop, thrift store, etc?

Nanamoms 01-23-2012 04:45 PM

Paint it RED and send it to me!!! I wouldn't worry about resale either at the price you got it for!!

SmickChick 01-23-2012 04:53 PM

At the last national quilt show in Knoxville, there was a vendor who refurbishes Featherweights. Some are black, but the really snazzy ones are teal, John Deere green, etc. If I had my choice, I'd go with a wild color 10:1 to a black one. When I see the Kitchenaid mixers at Williams Sonoma, I am so tempted to get one....it's just that the white one I bought in 1980 works just fine....paint it, and enjoy it!

Alex J 01-23-2012 05:12 PM

Go on and paint it and have a blast with it