Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Phoenix Automatic 283F (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/phoenix-automatic-283f-t225773.html)

frudemoo 07-14-2013 05:06 AM

Phoenix Automatic 283F

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone

Here is a picture of Fawkes, my latest acquisition. I think he's rather magnificent, especially now that I have the bentwood tray (is this called a tray? I'd love to know what it's actually called on a free arm machine). I've been lusting after a machine with this free arm design and think the use of wood is such a curiosity. Absolutely stunning result I think!

Anyway, we're having a stormy beginning to the relationship. He's been completely re-wired... We discovered that the paintwork was preventing it being correctly earthed/grounded (!!) - Paintwork is all original, so that's somewhat disturbing. Anyway, all fixed now- and safe.

I thought I'd managed to stuff up the timing as I had the needle striking metal after I took a bunch of things apart to clean it. However, I discovered that I'd actually knocked the catch that holds the bobbin case in place... so it turns out the needle was striking the bobbin case. I jigged it back into position and now that's all fine.

The other issue is that the tension assembly is sloppy and I can't figure out how to fix it, despite an in depth discussion with Cecilia and Miriam sharing fantastic documentation and tips on this in Cecilia's thread about her Phoenix. I wanted to come and start a dedicated Klasse 282/283 thread for anyone else who might come along who owns one of these amazing German machines.

Here are some pics!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423858[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423859[/ATTACH]
The distinctive 'clam shell' bobbin area. It also has an eye on the bobbin case that you need to thread the bobbin thread through... I haven't seen that before.

My favourite feature so far is that you can wind a bobbin from the 2nd spool without unthreading the main sewing thread. The bobbin thread travels a different path which I think is very clever.

mighty 07-14-2013 06:28 AM

So cool!!!

Caroline S 07-14-2013 06:58 AM

Fawkes is fabulous! The bent wood table is amazing. I like the rounded leading edges, so much better than the plastic ones made today. I think I will give you 1st prize for coolest sewing machine of the year.

pocoellie 07-14-2013 07:03 AM

Beautiful machine and I love the bentwood "tray". I hope that you're able to get the tension assembly working correctly soon.

Candace 07-14-2013 08:30 AM

The bobbin assembly looks a lot like my SewHandy/ GE machine that I posted. It's an interesting set up.

frudemoo 07-14-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6176766)
Fawkes is fabulous! The bent wood table is amazing. I like the rounded leading edges, so much better than the plastic ones made today. I think I will give you 1st prize for coolest sewing machine of the year.

Yay!!!! Thanks Caroline :D

miriam 07-14-2013 04:12 PM

Amelia, I wish I could reach into the computer screen and tweak up your tension for you. Wonderful tray!!! Those are the most amazing machines - they were WAY ahead of their time and just beautifully made. Could you shoot a pic of the back of the machine, too? I'm thinking there is a little plate that covers up your disks for your stitch selectors. That machine has the least complicated stitch selectors I've seen - the disks go in from the back and just in the front of the machine is the lever to choose which stitch. Very clever.

liking quilting 07-14-2013 05:21 PM

Great bentwood extension table. Never seen anything like it, and I love it. Don't know anything about that machine, but from what I've read in the posts so far, it sounds like quite a great machine. Enjoy!

frudemoo 07-14-2013 09:38 PM

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. I look forward to keeping you all updated as I get the stitches working a bit better.
Miriam, that extra info is great... I'll get a pic up of the back ASAP :)

lovelyl 07-15-2013 05:06 AM

What a fantastic machine. Your hard work certainly paid off!