Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilt binding width questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilt-binding-width-questions-t209281.html)

J Miller 12-26-2012 06:54 AM

Quilt binding width questions

Elaine asked me a question that I have no idea about.
I've looked at several threads and a few videos on how to apply the binding, but none covered this question.

Question: What is the "normal" or "average" width of the folded binding used on quilts?

Elaine and Joe

LuvQuiltin 12-26-2012 06:58 AM

If I want a fuller binding, I cut 2 1/2. However, I usually cut it 2 1/4 as I like less binding.

HTH

Caroline S 12-26-2012 07:04 AM

I normally cut my binding strips 2.5" wide. Last month I purchased the Martelli Zip Bind System and Stitch in the Ditch binding foot. Per the instructions I am using strips cut 3" wide. But it depends on the thickness of the sandwiched quilt top. I am now only doing machine sewn quilt binding.

quiltstringz 12-26-2012 07:23 AM

You will get many answers and the correct one is whichever one works for you. I apply my binding by hand to the back and use 2". There are some people who use 1-3/4" and a lot (especially if applying both sides by machine) that use 2-1/4" to 2-1/2".

ckcowl 12-26-2012 07:38 AM

i think the (average) is either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2"...that seems to be the Preferance. I personally on most quilts prefer a narrower binding but if i'm binding one that is quite heavy/thick/lofty---like flannel or wool quilts---i do use a 2 1/2"..it is a personal choice- as long as you can A) fold it in half; B) stitch it to one side; C) fold it over & stitch it to the other side- covering the stitching from the first side--- it is an ok width---some people even like them much wider- so they are almost like an extra border/design element- use what you like & works for you---your binding should be *Full* though---meaning the batting & fabric inside the fold should fill the space.

MimiBug123 12-26-2012 10:11 AM

I always use 2 1/2", but lots of people use 2 1/4". Watch Sharon Schambers' video on Youtube, called "Binding the Angel." She gives a great lesson on how to bind from start to finish, using Elmer's school glue. I've tried it this way and it is wonderful. No pins or clips and your binding finishes perfectly every time.

tomodachi1 12-26-2012 10:18 AM

Hi: I cut strips 4inches wide, then fold them in half using the iron, machine stitch them to and hem them on the back side.
Tomodachi

cathyvv 12-26-2012 10:19 AM

If you haven't bound a quilt before, I suggest no less than 2.5". That gives you room to work. You can graduate to smaller width binding as you gain experience.

cathyvv 12-26-2012 10:21 AM

I tried Elmers glue for a binding and didn't care for the results. Have used it for piecing and basting with success, though.

J Miller 12-26-2012 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5741126)
I normally cut my binding strips 2.5" wide. Last month I purchased the Martelli Zip Bind System and Stitch in the Ditch binding foot. Per the instructions I am using strips cut 3" wide. But it depends on the thickness of the sandwiched quilt top. I am now only doing machine sewn quilt binding.

Caroline,

Can you elaborate on the "machine sewn quilt binding" procedure you use?

Joe