Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sticking my toe in the waters of Vintage Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sticking-my-toe-waters-vintage-sewing-machines-t191776.html)

quiltingweb 06-22-2012 07:35 PM

Yes, the Ha Ha too. So, it's likely a National machine? Interesting. This is why people like Singers...easy to identify, good information, manuals, attachments....Something to search for.

quiltingweb 06-24-2012 07:38 AM

Can we talk embroidery machines? I feel guilty saying it out loud, but I really don't like ....ack...machine embroidery. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing what other people do, I admire their talent, their skill, their vision, but I just can't get into it. I want to sew. I just want to sew and quilt, make clothes. I like that I can now make myself some fancy labels, but what I think I like my old, hand drawn, hand sewn labels just as well. I don't think I have the patience. Maybe it's the machine I have. I bought a Husq-Viking #1+. I do love all its fancy stitches. I've gotten the hang of lettering. It's just that I don't LOVE it the way I like creating a block, designing a quilt, choosing the fabrics. Should I keep the machine, sell it? I guess I'll keep it, but is there something wrong with me?

quiltingweb 06-24-2012 07:02 PM

So, today I felt like getting dirty...well, not really, but that's the way it ended up anyway. I got myself a good supply of sewing machine oil and decided to tackle the Minnehaha.

I oiled and cleaned. I watched videos and took it apart...not too much...and put it back together. Once I got it back together and well-oiled...maybe too much, but wiping it off is taking off a lot of grime...I wound the bobbin! I watched Muv's video and it worked just the way it's supposed to. I learned how easy it is to load the bobbin in the shuttle and the shuttle into the machine. And you know what? It sews! At first it didn't, but I remember what I've always been told about my other machines...check the way it's threaded! Yep, I missed one hole. As soon as I fixed that, it was sewing like a dream...or at least the way it's supposed to. It's amazing how smoothly it treadles. Each little victory put a goofy grin on my face. What a fun way to spend an afternoon in the garage!

quiltingweb 06-24-2012 07:03 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150929619758802

quiltingweb 06-24-2012 07:17 PM

Notice I'm missing the front slide plate. Any suggestions? What about a piece of plexiglass?

quiltingweb 07-01-2012 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I may need an intervention. I found (an purchased) this today. I kept hearing such good things about them and...what can I say?[ATTACH=CONFIG]345893[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]345894[/ATTACH]

irishrose 07-01-2012 01:01 PM

Your machine most likely is a National. The round access plate on the front is a giveaway. I have a 1928 Leader with the same shape, but more decals. Is this a full size machine? Mine isn't.

My first 301 had strange grumble/squeak until I oiled the cross rod and ran the machine standing on end to get oil under the area the noise was coming from. End of problem.

That's a good looking Necchi.

Bezzer 07-01-2012 01:32 PM

I'm hooked. At this point I don't know what I would be doing if I weren't thinking about the machines I have in the basement.

quiltingweb 07-01-2012 08:39 PM

I don't think it is a full sized machine. 3/4 maybe? I think a lot of the decals have worn away, especially the MINNEHAHA across the front. I'm just thrilled that it works and that it's mine.

The Singer with the squeak most likely needs more oiling and I will try what you suggested to get the oil into all the joints. Thanks!

earthwalker 07-01-2012 10:43 PM

Ah...vintage...sweet machine and that Necchi looks wonderful. Love my 50's Pinnock which I use every week and must get to restoring my Singer Treadle...'til thats done I'm not game to sneak another in.

Quiltingweb...I don't like machine embroidery either (though the work people produce here is lovely). The only modern, upmarket machine I'm tempted to invest in is a Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen.