Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Still need some help on my old singer 327k (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/still-need-some-help-my-old-singer-327k-t202071.html)

pinkCastleDH 10-02-2012 02:48 PM

The k part of the 327k indicates it was made in Scotland.

If you're getting some movement but it's locking up I'd suggest starting disassembly with the bobbin area as the easiest area to work on that seems a likely culprit.

miriam 10-02-2012 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH (Post 5557703)
The k part of the 327k indicates it was made in Scotland.

If you're getting some movement but it's locking up I'd suggest starting disassembly with the bobbin area as the easiest area to work on that seems a likely culprit.

Yeah - take it down bare and clean - look in the upper parts too - some times those freeze up pretty good. If you have rust you have fun... Best get that soaked off. For heat, I have used socks filled with rice - nuke it a couple minutes and stick it as close to the culprit as you can - once it gets good and warm try turning it. I don't like exploding sewing machines or singed hair... The rice socks will put out some moist heat so beware.

J Miller 10-02-2012 03:26 PM

Rice is for eating .... :D . I've had one that I used my wife's hair drier on after and during soaking with Tri-Flow oil.
Finally I had to result in using a plastic rod and a hammer to encourage the stuck parts to move. Once I got them to me it was just a bit more soaking and taping till the parts were free and moved easily.

I've got another one that is still soaking in oil. Tomorrow it will get heat. Then the fun begins. Either it cooperates or after stripping off all the useable bits I'm gonna scrap it out. No mercy, capitulate or die.

Well, I'm not really that blood thirsty ..... but this thing is in my way and it bugs me. :(

Joe

miriam 10-02-2012 03:41 PM

Don't laugh the rice socks put out a LOT of heat

startella18 10-02-2012 09:37 PM

BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I FINALLY got her broke loose!!!
But man is she stiff! I think I know where the problem is I just don't know how to fix it.
You know the part, the gear thing that has the stitch disc thing on it?
Well I think that's the part that's not letting the main shaft turn easily.
I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, My hands hurt from trying to get that thing loose.
I think I know what I'm gonna call her..... P.I.B. Pain in the butt.

miriam 10-03-2012 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by startella18 (Post 5558469)
BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I FINALLY got her broke loose!!!
But man is she stiff! I think I know where the problem is I just don't know how to fix it.
You know the part, the gear thing that has the stitch disc thing on it?
Well I think that's the part that's not letting the main shaft turn easily.
I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, My hands hurt from trying to get that thing loose.
I think I know what I'm gonna call her..... P.I.B. Pain in the butt.

Use Triflow and let the oil do the work. They have a long tip on it. You can turn your machine from side to side or end to end to let the oil penetrate. Forcing it can break things - ask me how I know.

J Miller 10-03-2012 05:32 AM

You need to do what Miriam says. Oil it, oil it, oil it, and then oil it some more. Then when it's running good wipe off the excess. And do use the Tri-Flow. It just works better than regular oil.

Joe

miriam 10-03-2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5558994)
You need to do what Miriam says. Oil it, oil it, oil it, and then oil it some more. Then when it's running good wipe off the excess. And do use the Tri-Flow. It just works better than regular oil.

Joe

costs more but it doesn't gum up like sewing machine oil and it cuts the gummy dried up oil.

DanofNJ 10-03-2012 06:45 PM

Support your local Fire Department.