Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Still need some help on my old singer 327k

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gloucester Va
    Posts
    51

    Still need some help on my old singer 327k

    Hi!
    I have oiled everything i can, and I'm going to let it sit over night but it seems to want to move.
    When I try to turn the wheel, it will rock back and forth a bit, but something seems to be stopping it.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I can take pics if you need em,
    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    When you rock the wheel does it have a metal sound or just not move?
    Is there dried up oil in the top part of the inside in the wrench like gizmo?
    Have you oiled the needle bar shaft? You want to oil anything that remotely moves
    then turn the machine in different directions so the oil will penetrate.
    I had one machine with a bent needle bar shaft - nothing would move -
    caused by someone pulling really heavy fabric through the machine.
    Is the bobbin holder in the wrong position - check manual.
    I had one someone had turned the bobbin shaft/bobbin holder just a hair - royal mess.
    Is there some tiny little thread wrapped around/wedged in some moving part?
    Are the pressure foot/thread cutter in the right positions?
    Has someone tried to use the wrong size attachments and thrown the needle bar off timing?
    Many things can cause a machine to freeze up. Have you been praying for patience???
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  3. #3
    Super Member lovelyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,103
    Blog Entries
    6
    Could there be a thread jam in the bobbin area? Sometimes even one stray thread in the bobbin area will cause a machine to "freeze up".
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pat M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    642
    My 15-91 would not turn with the wheel, so I took the wheel off, found a piece of leather, a vice grip and a husband. I put more Liquid Wrench on the shaft and turned it on it's side with the wheel area up in the air. Put the leather around the shaft and got the husband, vice grip and had him turn it slowly back and forth, we heard a small crunch and it was free. Added more Liquid Wrench and hand turned the shaff. Let it set for a while and then put everything back together. Turned it on and it started to sew. I wiped everything down and then oiled it.

  5. #5
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    My 15-91 would not turn with the wheel, so I took the wheel off, found a piece of leather, a vice grip and a husband. I put more Liquid Wrench on the shaft and turned it on it's side with the wheel area up in the air. Put the leather around the shaft and got the husband, vice grip and had him turn it slowly back and forth, we heard a small crunch and it was free. Added more Liquid Wrench and hand turned the shaff. Let it set for a while and then put everything back together. Turned it on and it started to sew. I wiped everything down and then oiled it.
    My DH used force on my Singer 500 - it is now my donor machine - use caution - the liquid wrench should do the job if you got it in the right places and let it set. For my machines, I do not use Liquid Wrench - it can harm the finish Tri-flow works just fine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  6. #6
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    My DH used force on my Singer 500 - it is now my donor machine - use caution - the liquid wrench should do the job if you got it in the right places and let it set. For my machines, I do not use Liquid Wrench - it can harm the finish Tri-flow works just fine.
    One of the sellers that I've dealt with lately has been in the business almost as long as I've been alive (wait - when did I turn 50?! I can't be 50 yet, can I? What, last year? Nooooo!) and he says using a hair dryer gently is the best method he's found for freeing up frozen sewing machines. Caution - don't do this if you've already used something seriously flammable like Liquid Wrench!! Or at least wait until the most volatile of the distillates have evaporated on their own.

  7. #7
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    You think using a hair dryer after using something flammable is not fun, my LSMG told me he uses lighter fluid in the motors when they are running sluggish. Says he soaks them (probably the brushes and commutator area although he didn't specify ) then turns the motors on and runs them as the lighter fluid cleans them. I said: "that could make a flash fire couldn't it"? He said, "I've had my eyebrows singed a time or two". Guess what I don't do ......

    Joe

  8. #8
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    You think using a hair dryer after using something flammable is not fun, my LSMG told me he uses lighter fluid in the motors when they are running sluggish. Says he soaks them (probably the brushes and commutator area although he didn't specify ) then turns the motors on and runs them as the lighter fluid cleans them. I said: "that could make a flash fire couldn't it"? He said, "I've had my eyebrows singed a time or two". Guess what I don't do ......

    Joe
    Naptha. Arcing and sparking. Is this guy nuts? Can't you just imagine one time forgetting and still having the can of lighter fluid sitting there. Compared to that using a hair drier on a freshly LW'd machine is child's play. Of course I'm referring to children playing with matches....

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gloucester Va
    Posts
    51
    That's friggin scary!
    Any way I've put oil in every part I can think of, taken stuff apart and oiled it some more.
    When I try to turn the wheel, it makes the gears wanting to move metal sound if that makes any sense.
    I'm really sure its been sitting for a long time cause there's rust on some parts.
    It only moves a couple hairs when i turn the wheel, it kinda rocks back and forth but only a tiny bit.
    I mean you can clearly tell its moving, but that's about it. I haven't seen any thread anywhere, but then again I haven't messed with the bobbin area yet.
    But today I noticed that it says it was made it great Britain, does that mean anything special or were they all like that?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gloucester Va
    Posts
    51
    Plus I have another question about my domestic, where do I find a new bobbin winder tire wheel thing?

  11. #11
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    The k part of the 327k indicates it was made in Scotland.

    If you're getting some movement but it's locking up I'd suggest starting disassembly with the bobbin area as the easiest area to work on that seems a likely culprit.

  12. #12
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    The k part of the 327k indicates it was made in Scotland.

    If you're getting some movement but it's locking up I'd suggest starting disassembly with the bobbin area as the easiest area to work on that seems a likely culprit.
    Yeah - take it down bare and clean - look in the upper parts too - some times those freeze up pretty good. If you have rust you have fun... Best get that soaked off. For heat, I have used socks filled with rice - nuke it a couple minutes and stick it as close to the culprit as you can - once it gets good and warm try turning it. I don't like exploding sewing machines or singed hair... The rice socks will put out some moist heat so beware.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  13. #13
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Rice is for eating .... . I've had one that I used my wife's hair drier on after and during soaking with Tri-Flow oil.
    Finally I had to result in using a plastic rod and a hammer to encourage the stuck parts to move. Once I got them to me it was just a bit more soaking and taping till the parts were free and moved easily.

    I've got another one that is still soaking in oil. Tomorrow it will get heat. Then the fun begins. Either it cooperates or after stripping off all the useable bits I'm gonna scrap it out. No mercy, capitulate or die.

    Well, I'm not really that blood thirsty ..... but this thing is in my way and it bugs me.

    Joe

  14. #14
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Don't laugh the rice socks put out a LOT of heat
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gloucester Va
    Posts
    51
    BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I FINALLY got her broke loose!!!
    But man is she stiff! I think I know where the problem is I just don't know how to fix it.
    You know the part, the gear thing that has the stitch disc thing on it?
    Well I think that's the part that's not letting the main shaft turn easily.
    I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, My hands hurt from trying to get that thing loose.
    I think I know what I'm gonna call her..... P.I.B. Pain in the butt.

  16. #16
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by startella18 View Post
    BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I FINALLY got her broke loose!!!
    But man is she stiff! I think I know where the problem is I just don't know how to fix it.
    You know the part, the gear thing that has the stitch disc thing on it?
    Well I think that's the part that's not letting the main shaft turn easily.
    I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, My hands hurt from trying to get that thing loose.
    I think I know what I'm gonna call her..... P.I.B. Pain in the butt.
    Use Triflow and let the oil do the work. They have a long tip on it. You can turn your machine from side to side or end to end to let the oil penetrate. Forcing it can break things - ask me how I know.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  17. #17
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    You need to do what Miriam says. Oil it, oil it, oil it, and then oil it some more. Then when it's running good wipe off the excess. And do use the Tri-Flow. It just works better than regular oil.

    Joe

  18. #18
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    You need to do what Miriam says. Oil it, oil it, oil it, and then oil it some more. Then when it's running good wipe off the excess. And do use the Tri-Flow. It just works better than regular oil.

    Joe
    costs more but it doesn't gum up like sewing machine oil and it cuts the gummy dried up oil.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    Support your local Fire Department.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.