Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Taking a chance... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/taking-chance-t211266.html)

vanginney 01-17-2013 07:34 PM

Taking a chance...

I am travelling to pick up 2 Singers, Viking & a Pfaff. 4 machines in all, I am told 2 are working and 2 are not - not sure which of the 4. And either the Pfaff or Viking is missing a pin in the hand wheel? The owner had a stroke and has to move into a care home - they are slated for the dump because she said her son doesn't want to move them. She mentioned one takes an odd shaped bobbin which is long (I assume a shuttle). She can't email photos...so I am super curious.

She would like a working machine in return. I thought I would give her my Pfaff 295-1...because it has about 5 stitch choices (zig zag etc). I just can't part with my SS singers.

I pick them up on Saturday...

Never fixed a machine with missing parts, so I am crossing my fingers.

DanofNJ 01-17-2013 08:22 PM

It's super easy to get singer parts, so there's no issue there. The Pfaff machines can be a bear to work on but are usually all metal so oiling and adjusting will usually do the trick, albeit you may have to re-time. The viking is the major challenge, so it depends on the model. It may have a an electrical circuit board which will requiring many hours of searching and begging it that is the issue. I'd go for it!!!, though I'd give her a Singer back if I had the option. Good Luck.

vanginney 01-17-2013 08:28 PM

Thats a good idea... She is moving...so I will try to stay in touch with her.

ArchaicArcane 01-17-2013 08:40 PM

Go for it! If you need to time anything, let me know. I've been meaning to write a post on how to time a machine, but time keeps getting away from me. Dan sent me the gifs a while ago to help me, and they're still sitting on my machine waiting,.. watching. I've run out of machines to tune up and now it's "just" sewing projects, so I should be able to find some time soon, I hope.

Glenda m 01-19-2013 07:39 AM

Be sure to post pics when you can. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

vanginney 01-20-2013 12:35 AM

It was -39 with the windchill - so I was too wimpy to drive on the highway today. Its killing me too! Maybe tomorrow. Trying to get my DH to drive me but he's not as thrilled to pick up unworking old sewing machines as I am :)

Tammi thanks for the offer for a timing lesson...hopefully it will just be a dried out belt situation.

vanginney 01-20-2013 02:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
-42 with the windchill & a darling husband who knows how to drive....she was very happy with her 'ready to go' Pfaff. Here are the machines. The Pfaff is missing a pin on the hand wheel and 1 other one doesn't work....not sure which and will find out this week.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]389506[/ATTACH]

ArchaicArcane 01-20-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 5800408)
-42 with the windchill & a darling husband who knows how to drive....she was very happy with her 'ready to go' Pfaff. Here are the machines. The Pfaff is missing a pin on the hand wheel and 1 other one doesn't work....not sure which and will find out this week.

Holy cow!! Score!! That looks like a 431G. That's on my bucket list! It's an excellent machine, and it can chainstitch. If you need help with the missing parts, send me a PM, I have "connections" for new parts and should be able to get them if I can figure out part numbers and they're available.

You don't need the zig zagger for the Singer, but if the other machines are low shank and SS only (or your black SS machines) they can use it. The buttonholer looks like a low shank as well, so not for the 431G, but it will work on the black singers and other low shank machines.

vanginney 01-20-2013 05:38 PM

Tammi. It is a 431G... Can't get the bobbin case to stay put ( I took it out and it jiggles like crazy) and I fiddled with the screws underneath until it didn't hit metal. I don't think there are missing parts.....just don't think I have them put together right. The removal arm is kinda cool.

ArchaicArcane 01-20-2013 05:46 PM

Can you post a couple of pics for me of the hook area? Maybe I can spot the problem. I've had my nose stuck in a 401A all day, so I'm pretty up to speed on that setup. And maybe a pic of which screws you were fiddling with.