Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Machine with Blanket Stitch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-machine-blanket-stitch-t207916.html)

ppquilter 12-09-2012 08:29 AM

I am wondering about a pic to see this Minimatic 707 machine?????

Candace 12-09-2012 09:01 AM

Google it. Lots of photos of Berninas on the net.

irishrose 12-09-2012 11:04 AM

1973 Elna SU has one, so does the Montgomery Wards from the 70s. I haven't used the MW for that, but the Elna's is adjustable for length and width.

makitmama 12-09-2012 12:55 PM

look at the Kenmore 158-1030 and 1040. That is my 'go-to' machine to take to conferences where I need a blanket stitch in my classes. It is lightweight, cute, has like 4 stitches, and is basic and easily maintained. It has a built in accessory tray, and is often called the 'lunchbox' machine- why, I have no idea.

Candace 12-09-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5708475)
1973 Elna SU has one, so does the Montgomery Wards from the 70s. I haven't used the MW for that, but the Elna's is adjustable for length and width.

I have the SU and it's not adjustable enough for me.

Grannyh67 12-10-2012 05:29 AM

I hear everyone complain about the plastic machines, well I have several of them and love them all. I do have a lot of ventage and antique machines as well but still love the plastic ones too. I have cheap ones and expensive ones. I do machine embroidery as well as crafting. I am now starting to quilt. I guess they aren't for everyone but there are good ones out there too. Just had to put my two cents worth in.

Wintersewer 12-10-2012 07:06 AM

I agree. I play around on my vintage machines, but when I want to make something really nice I use a modern machine. AFAIK, there is nothing like a new Janome or Bernina. To each their own!!

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 (Post 5710280)
I hear everyone complain about the plastic machines, well I have several of them and love them all. I do have a lot of ventage and antique machines as well but still love the plastic ones too. I have cheap ones and expensive ones. I do machine embroidery as well as crafting. I am now starting to quilt. I guess they aren't for everyone but there are good ones out there too. Just had to put my two cents worth in.

Candace 12-10-2012 07:33 AM

I agree to a point. There are just some stitches and ability to adjust the stitch, that modern machines are the best fit. And there are features of modern machines that just lend themselves to a better outcome. The automatic needle down is just one.... Many of my projects are completed on my modern machines as they give the best results. But, given the chance to pick between a plastic wonder from WallyWorld or a vintage machine, I'd go vintage! I love my modern Bernina and Janome and love my vintage machines. But, I think there are just some plastic machines that are junk!!

J Miller 12-10-2012 11:19 AM

Please post a picture of a "blanket stitch" for this novice.

Thank you.

Joe

Caroline S 12-10-2012 12:59 PM

Blanket Stitch

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5711018)
Please post a picture of a "blanket stitch" for this novice.

Thank you.

Joe

An example done with my Elna 7300 built in stitch.