Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 05-02-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
As you can see from the front of the machine - it was just - black. If you look real close it appears to have a label (?) on the front. I failed to take a pix from the back that showed the LaRaine logo. And when I started cleaning the place on the front that was solid black I detected the Honeymoon logo. Same thing on the back, when I started cleaning the LaReine logo it came off and the Honeymoon logo was there. I supposed it was sold by a department store. It had LaReine, LaReine, La. on it. I couldn't find anything about it in my internet search. I am attaching a picture on the cabinet. I can't believe I didn't take a pix of the back!!!! Thought sure I had

Miss Eva, wow what a mystery. I hope Miss Johnny or Billy understands why this machine had one name on top of the other name -- talk about a badged machine -- that is a little different! Oh and your cabinet is really nice too!

I hope someone sheds some light on this machine with Honeymoon under the LaRaine. I have not found a machine with two different names on it, one covering the other? Pretty interesting for sure.

Nancy

Mary M 05-02-2011 01:51 PM

Thank you so very much with the information. I am going to check out that manual and hope to learn all about it. Sounds like a great machine for FMQ

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Mary M
Then is it a clone of a Singer? I have no instruction book for it so need to know how to thread it. Would any Singer manual help with this? Thank you so very much for the info. I am anxious to try it but going to have it rewired first for the chord is very brittle. Mary

Yes, it is a Singer Model 15 clone, and will thread the same way a Singer 15 threads!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-02-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
While servicing my FW this weekend, the flakes were falling into the gears. I was camping, so didn't have everything I needed for the job at hand. I just picked the flakes out with a pin, and carried on with the lube job. At the time I read the thread, I was unaware of the flakes, now I have a need to know.

When Kathie and I took the FW maintenance class our instructor didn't seem to think that flaking was anything to worry about. I don't remember her exact comment, but she said just clean up the flakes and don't worry - the machine is fine. I think, if I were worried I'd take it into a repairman and get his opinion.

Nancy

BoJangles 05-02-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
Thank you so very much with the information. I am going to check out that manual and hope to learn all about it. Sounds like a great machine for FMQ

Yes, those 15's and the 15 clones are the best for FMQt'g as their feed dogs drop! I have a 15-88 treadle that I use exclusively for FW quilting and I love it!

Nancy

Glenn 05-02-2011 02:09 PM

I am back, we got power today at 10:00 am. No power for five days and we got hit really bad. I have about a month of clean up new roof and several trees to get rid of . They were all about 150 years old. Houses across the way were destroyed we were very lucky. We had no gas no water for five days and the first thing I did today was take a hot shower. I am happy again. It will take me a week to read the new threads on the VSMS. Glenn

Weedwoman 05-02-2011 02:12 PM

Good to hear you are safe and sound, Glenn

mamajack3 05-02-2011 02:14 PM

Got it going. I was threading it from outside in instead of inside out. The lady at the LQS made me feel so good. She said my FW was in excellent shape and I got a great buy on it. She said it hadn't been used alot because she was so clean. Now to find just the right name for her...

BoJangles 05-02-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Nancy... you can get a foot pedal for the the 66-6 off ebay. I ended up rewiring the old one, but then also bought a 'new' foot pedal with the 66 cord set - so that I can use it with finer control. I love best the knee lever operation, so I leave the old foot pedal in the cabinet hooked into the knee operation. But when I have the need to change out machine heads, I'll just plug in that 66-6 on the regular 66 cord/pedal and use it on the table. Works fine. On that backtack... I learned to start my stitching on a scrap piece, then holding firmly, sew onto the real project fabric (this makes tiny stitches, almost like a backtack, without bunching up the fabric). It works, and is now second nature to me. I LOVE my granny's 66-6 machine. No, it doesn't have reverse, but man, can I sew boat canvas with it!

Hmmmmmm, I have been thinking I should get the foot pedal and have DH wire it in. He is good at replacing/fixing the cords. I will also need DH to rewire the motor too as that cord it totally toast. I sure like the way my 66-1 sews so I know the 66-6 will be great too. I know, I am spoiled as I have the 15-88 treadle that has reverse on it, but I learned to turn the stitch regulator down to stitch in place when I wanted to lock something with my Free Company treadle. That worked great! I haven't tried locking anything with the Sphinx 127 that I am piecing with now to see if the same method will work with the Sphinx. The Free had a little knob that just slid up and down for the stitch length so it was very easy to change (worked almost like a reverse) to a nothing stitch to lock your work! Thanks for the hints on holding the fabric!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-02-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I am back, we got power today at 10:00 am. No power for five days and we got hit really bad. I have about a month of clean up new roof and several trees to get rid of . They were all about 150 years old. Houses across the way were destroyed we were very lucky. We had no gas no water for five days and the first thing I did today was take a hot shower. I am happy again. It will take me a week to read the new threads on the VSMS. Glenn

Wow, Glenn I wish we were all closer - we could help with the clean up! Glad you only had a loss of power, some trees, and a roof. That is minor to what could have happened!

Nancy

Glenn 05-02-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn

Wow, Glenn I wish we were all closer - we could help with the clean up! Glad you only had a loss of power, some trees, and a roof. That is minor to what could have happened!

Nancy

Yes we are very lucky. Thanks for thinking about us. Glenn