Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Mizkaki 03-26-2012 03:48 PM

Candace,

Want another breeding pair?????

Cathy

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5092634)
Shoot, had I know they could breed, I wouldn't have sold mine.

Candace 03-26-2012 04:31 PM

Oh, I'd love a breeding pair of penguins. But, I can't sell my kidney to afford them. I may need that kidney some day!

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5092707)
Candace,

Want another breeding pair?????

Cathy

chris_quilts 03-26-2012 04:41 PM

Cathy; Your explanation of the ziper feet being the only ones used plus the standard foot makes a lot of sense. I just wish those boxes would breed some zipper feet instead of all the rufflers, hemmers and miscellaneous bits and pieces that I do have currently. One other thing I noticed is that most of my boxes still have the seam guide still in them which I think odd simply because it's such a neat gadget one would think it got used frequently if not all the time unless their eyeballs calibrated better then than mine do today.:D

vintagemotif 03-26-2012 04:53 PM

Miriam,
I love your walk down memory lane posts!!

I too remember going to the fabric stores with my mom. She was always looking for the right fabric she wanted for her Vogue pattern. She loved Jackie Kennedy's fashion, and the vogue patterns of that day had a line that was similar to what Jackie wore. My mom mainly loved to sew her own clothes, but she did make clothes for her kids. My favorite was a navy blue wool coat with red buttons; it was gorgeous! I also remember going to Hutzler Department store to look for fabrics. If we were good while waiting, my mom would buy each of us a special pastry from the pastry department of the store before leaving. We could eat the bun on the ride home. That was the best part of shopping, the food!!! I can still smell their special raisin buns.

Thanks for posting the fabric measuring machine. I remember those machines. I know we had a discussion on this once before on QB. This time it's good to see a photo of the machine posted into the files of vintage machines.

Mizkaki 03-26-2012 05:17 PM

Chris,

That wasn't me. I think Melinda said that.

Cathy

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5092806)
Cathy; Your explanation of the ziper feet being the only ones used plus the standard foot makes a lot of sense. I just wish those boxes would breed some zipper feet instead of all the rufflers, hemmers and miscellaneous bits and pieces that I do have currently. One other thing I noticed is that most of my boxes still have the seam guide still in them which I think odd simply because it's such a neat gadget one would think it got used frequently if not all the time unless their eyeballs calibrated better then than mine do today.:D

chris_quilts 03-26-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5092895)
Chris,
That wasn't me. I think Melinda said that.
Cathy

Sorry that I misdireected my answer to the wrong person . CRS is springing up all over the place today in my house and my mind. Still makes a lot of sense though.

vintagemotif 03-26-2012 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Post states that this is an old Singer from the late 1800s. No machine is shown. The cabinet drawers are gorgeous and cabinet doesn't look to be a Singer cabinet. Anyone know what is the correct sewing machine company for this cabinet? And what machine should be in this pretty cabinet? And are the drawer handles the originals?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/2919458071.html
[ATTACH=CONFIG]323016[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 03-26-2012 10:25 PM

Anyone looking for a HC?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/2920388099.html

jlhmnj 03-26-2012 11:29 PM

Hi,

Unusual, beautiful New Home HC reasonably priced. The little needle drawer is awesome. Needs a needle clamp though. Anyone know what model this is?

Jon

Charlee 03-27-2012 06:29 AM

I'd LOVE to have that handcrank!

Monica, the drawers, in my opinion only, have the original pulls... and I think they're from a badged National machine, or a National. In the early 1900's, National badged a machine called "The Willamette D" for a company in Oregon named "Meyer & Frank". It was a department store. When I went to pick up Mamie, my AG Mason in the pretty rose cabinet, the lady had one sitting beside her. We discussed the cabinet, and thought maybe someone had slapped cheesy after market draw pulls on it because they looked "cheap". Interestingly tho, the irons looked the same on both machines. (Turns out there were only a few cabinet makers for these babies, and everyone used them). Anyway, a week or so later, I saw another "Willamette D" in my local Goodwill. You guessed it. Same drawer pulls. Since then, I've seen yet another with the same pulls... I would venture to guess that the cabinet you show once held a National of some kind...