Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

nurseknitsLaura 12-04-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5693352)
Can anyone tell me what these are? They are only about 1.5 inches or so long. I'm guessing they were a sewing kit at one time but now are missing the caps that held in the needles. [ATTACH=CONFIG]379603[/ATTACH] And Nancy, you are welcome. I was guessing but it is good to know where it attached for future reference. Good looking and CLEAN machine. ~G~

My hardware store has different size corks in one of the hardware drawers- that might look ok as replacement caps. Laura

nurseknitsLaura 12-04-2012 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5696431)
Well, I pretty much finished up work on a Singer 99-13 I picked up a few weeks ago. Just a few touch ups left.
~G~

Before.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]379880[/ATTACH]

And Now.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]379881[/ATTACH]

Oh wow. the before pic I though, ehh, not bad, but the after- the machine really glows. Looks like a happy little machine! Nice work! Laura

quiltingweb 12-04-2012 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380078[/ATTACH]This is a machine I picked up for free with two other machines, one a White and the other a Kenmore. It is a high shank, left needle machine. It was a mess when I got it, but now, after some oil, a new bobbin winder wheel and lots of Qtips and cotton batting (my fave cleaning cloths) it works perfectly. It even has a control for "automatic" (semi-automatic?) button holes.

I have a friend who needs to borrow a machine and I'm going to let her use this one if she wants. It really surprised me, it's a great machine. I really have no idea of the age or who made it. It's Japanese and takes the same bobbins as an old Kenmore I have from around 68 or so. It's a DeLuxe Emporium, DeLuxe 146B. I've done some searching, but haven't really found anything more about it. I found one similar on YouTube and watched the video. A lot of similarities, but not exactly the same. Just a good solid machine.

Oh, and I can drop the feed dogs and do a little FMQ!

tutslady 12-04-2012 07:34 PM

Hi Everyone. Am I in the correct spot to try and find out where I can get parts for an old Singer 15 I was given today. I'm going to have to replace the cords and get a thread holder for the top and maybe a couple other items after checking it out more. I'm just so excited to get it. Was told it works, but I wouldn't plug those cords in.

Thanks for any help

irishrose 12-04-2012 07:58 PM

quiltingweb, a lot of us have a mystery machine much like that one. Mine is a pretty turquoise Universal, but maybe older as my numbers read A32. It looks like yours is a dedicated left needle machine, too. Does it have a high shank?

tutslady, sew-classic.com will have what you need if you don't have a local repair shop with parts for sale. Your cords can be purchased at a hardware store. Home Depot helped me. I think it was 18 gauge lamp cord, but don't quote me. The 15s are said to be great stitchers.

craftiladi 12-05-2012 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5697598)
Dan, Thank you. Miriam, I will try to send them to you in a pm. Joe, I use regular car wax with no abrasives to clean the gunk off of them and have for years with 100% success. It doesn't mess up the paint or decals and gives it a nice shine when it is clean. It takes a bit more elbow grease but I think that preserving the paint and decals is worth the extra effort. If there is old tape or thick gunk on the bed, I use straight 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. On the "Chrome" I use a metal polish called Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish. You can get it at auto parts stores. And Murphy's Oil Soap for the wood. :)
~G~

Thank-you so much for sharing on the cleaning, its very much appreciated.
dee

grant15clone 12-05-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5697707)
Grant,

How about a brand name and product version? There are a gazillion versions of "car wax" to look through. If you tell us specifically what you use it would save us a lot of looking.

Joe

Joe, I have been using Wizards brand wax. Shine Master Polish & Breathable Sealant. It is safe for Freshly Painted Surfaces. I got it from a body shop. http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store...6-oz-p-17.html I believe that almost any good wax from Meguiar's or Turtle Wax without any abrasives in it would be good, but I use the Wizards personally. I did try the black colored wax "As Seen On TV" but it made a mess out of the towel I was using and I was not impressed. I had hopes for it but it ruins the cloth you put it on with. I went back to the Wizards. I hope this helps.
~G~

grant15clone 12-05-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5697722)
Geeze, that 130 shines! I have always been afraid of rubbing alcohol and decals! That machine looks great! Please post a photo after you have that machine all cleaned up!

Now if you want a machine that would have no problem doing sails - it is the Pfaff 130! In fact, the 130 was used for making/repairing sails by a lot of sailors! I feel guilty sometimes that I don't use my 130 more. Between the Pfaff 1222e with the built in walking foot, the Pfaff 130 for its power, and my Singer 319 for decorative - I really don't need another machine! Hummmmm, I have to add, though, that the Pfaff 360 just does the most amazing job with free motion work! Although, I have never tried to FM with the 130! The 1222e also does great with FM!

Nancy

Nancy, I do not like using, nor should I have recommended using rubbing alcohol on paint finishes. It is risky. I did try it here on that gunk under the motor. It was my test area, not well seen if all goes wrong kind of spot on the machine. And I will post pictures when it is done along with the scary pictures I took before I started.
I am looking forward to getting it cleaned up and running. The 130 seems to have quite a following of people that just love them. Since the first Pfaff I bought, I am a fan too. Great Machines! In fact, I am almost done with the 230 and that one should be going to it's new home here at the end of the week.
~G~

tutslady 12-05-2012 06:06 AM

Thank you so much Irishrose. I am so anxious to get it cleaned up and give it a try.

grant15clone 12-05-2012 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5698233)
My hardware store has different size corks in one of the hardware drawers- that might look ok as replacement caps. Laura

Great idea Laura! Thanks.
~G~