Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

grant15clone 12-07-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5703428)
Grant, Nancy, and Cindy, Thanks for the info. I knew it looked like a 128 but when the ismacs site said model 15 I couldn't believe it. I am going to have to unstick the bobbin winder.... it's not turning and the rubber tire is hard. Those aren't to difficult to find, are they? Maybe there is something that would soften it without having to replace it.

Glenn, are you out there tonight? The decals look a little fragile..... can I just use oil to clean them up without damage?

I am getting so anxious for this arm to get healed. I have 5 machines to clean up now..... I really can't do much with only one hand. I start therapy for my hand and elbow tomorrow.....maybe I'll be back to sewing soon.

Nanna, The bobbin winder is probably not stuck, just out of adjustment. The screw on the front is a small cam. Loosen it slightly until it moves freely and tighten the nut on the back while holding the screw in place. It might take a few times to get it just right. It can be tricky to get it just right by trial and error but once it is done and tight, you won't have to do it again. If you need more help just ask. I'd be glad to help. Good luck and get well soon.
~G~

Crossstitcher 12-07-2012 06:20 AM

Nana, I like your new machine. Hope your arm is healing better so you can get back to sewing.
I am back to some sewing. DH watches to make sure I don't over do it.

DH also said maybe a hair dryer would work on the wires.

BoJangles 12-07-2012 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5701925)
Happy St. Nicholas Day to All! May your shoes be full of wonderful treats and sitting beside them a new vintage sewing machine!:D

For those looking for a sewing project to make with that special vintage machine, here is a Santa PP project:
http://seehowwesew.wordpress.com/201...lock-is-ready/

Enjoy!

Monica I agree with Charlee, I love the Santa too. I have never paper pieced, but I think I will try this one - it looks so cute!

Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

vintagemotif 12-07-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5703330)
I love that Santa! Will have to make it, for sure! If you go back a couple of pages, Santa already brought me a "new" machine!! (He had my son and DIL deliver it for him! LOL)

Charlee, That's an elegant lady! A true beauty! Lucky you that some of Santa's elves were busy looking out for you. The cabinet and machine are simple gorgeous!!!

vintagemotif 12-07-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5703871)
Monica I agree with Charlee, I love the Santa too. I have never paper pieced, but I think I will try this one - it looks so cute!

Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Nancy, Paper piecing is easy once you have done a simple one to figure out the process. This doesn't look difficult, just work in sections like she has shown.

I'm busy finishing up with a quilt that I started in October. I dislike leaving unfinished quilts...it's like leaving a rescued vintage machine uncleaned. I read that in some parts of the world folks will celebrate St. Nicholas day on Dec. 19th. Most likely, I will work on this cute PP Santa then while baking my Christmas cookies.

Glenn 12-07-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5703428)
Grant, Nancy, and Cindy, Thanks for the info. I knew it looked like a 128 but when the ismacs site said model 15 I couldn't believe it. I am going to have to unstick the bobbin winder.... it's not turning and the rubber tire is hard. Those aren't to difficult to find, are they? Maybe there is something that would soften it without having to replace it.

Glenn, are you out there tonight? The decals look a little fragile..... can I just use oil to clean them up without damage?

I am getting so anxious for this arm to get healed. I have 5 machines to clean up now..... I really can't do much with only one hand. I start therapy for my hand and elbow tomorrow.....maybe I'll be back to sewing soon.

Yes just use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. Put on some machine oil and let sit awhile then use cotton balls and more machne oil and gently start cleaning and it may take time to get them clean and if there is a little yellow still left it is the old shellac that as turned a little dark and that is okay. You don't want to remoce the shellac you just want to get the grime off it.

Skip

grant15clone 12-07-2012 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5703395)
Grant,

Yep, I've seen and touched such a machine. It was a 28 or a 128 my LSMG owns. I've got a full set of pics of it too. I wouldn't mind having one of those motors.

Joe

Joe, Mine is a 128. I'll sell you the motor. The price would include extras too. The rest of the machine. lol :D:D:D I bought it to fix, clean, and sell it. It is in surprisingly good condition. It was well taken care of and maintained. It even has a manual. Does anyone need a manual? I can try to scan it. The manual covers the 27, 127, and 128. It is only 15 pages long including the covers and very basic.
~G~

J Miller 12-07-2012 09:43 AM

Grant,

I'm up to my eyeballs in sewing machines right now, but after the holidays if you still have it I might be able to do something. As for the manual yes, I can use that. I have a 127 I'm cleaning right now and it would be useful.

Joe

miriam 12-07-2012 01:24 PM

Well, I am such a bad influence. As you all know, Wilbur helped me oil a machine. Today he was caught trying to oil his rocking horse - he had Dawn dish soap and was putting it in any hole he could find.

JudyTheSewer 12-07-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5704582)
Well, I am such a bad influence. As you all know, Wilbur helped me oil a machine. Today he was caught trying to oil his rocking horse - he had Dawn dish soap and was putting it in any hole he could find.

Did it need oiling? Squeaking? lol. Cute kids.