Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Littlebearquiltingboard 12-21-2012 11:18 AM

I collected my aluminium 201k on Wednesday and spent today cleaning it up. It was lovely to be able to pick it up and turn it round with one hand as I was working on it. It is so much lighter than my standard 201k. It stitches beautifully and I think it is well on the way to becoming my favourite vintage machine. I took the motor off because the cord was missing and I've popped on a crank for now and after Christmas I will put it in a treadle.

The little table that came with it (pictured a few pages ago) will be a project for the summer.

Clare

Charlee 12-21-2012 01:48 PM

I have my sewing room back...the kids are cozy in their new apartment! :) I really want the holidays to be done with now so that I can sit down and sew! :D

I have a new grandbaby due August 9th, and need to get sewing! :)

miriam 12-21-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 5731407)
of course. I'm glad to.

For items that just need the finish "buffed" i would recommend "flitz" i learned about it when i was the assistant mgr at a marie callendars. They used it to polish the copper salad station. It is remarkably safe for humans (in theory)

also, i really suggest folks try the white paste type toothpaste. It is a ultra-mild abrasive and it is really safe to use. (try it on an old penny or jewelry, you'll be amazed.)

the polishing compounds that i currently use are made by formax. Not for regular home use. I wear a full respirator when using it and wash the parts throughout when done.

My armor students always get the "monkey doing a math problem" look when i use it. Folks just cant get over how fast it puts a shine on, even when you are watching it happen.

a ha!!!!!!! I am vindicated - everybody laughed at me when i said i used tooth paste to polish things - works good on old silverware, too - get the kind with baking soda!!!

SteveH 12-21-2012 03:55 PM

anytime i overhear someone saying that they need to have the wedding/class/whatever ring polished, I advise them not to because you do lose material in that process (that the jewelers actually DO collect) then I'll ask if i can borrow it for a few moments, grab my special "NEVER use this on people" toothbrush and disappear into the bathroom, 2 minutes later, shiny ring. (and minty fresh)

Crossstitcher 12-21-2012 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5733441)
I have my sewing room back...the kids are cozy in their new apartment! :) I really want the holidays to be done with now so that I can sit down and sew! :D

Congratulations will this be the first grandbaby?

miriam 12-21-2012 04:01 PM

Grandbabies are the best - you get to send them home when they get on your nerves... I should have had them first... Congrats!!!

Glenn 12-21-2012 04:31 PM

Charlee. Pat and I are so happy for you. Congrats
Skip

chris_quilts 12-21-2012 07:00 PM

Charlee;
Congrats on the sewing room and the grandbaby.

Charlee 12-21-2012 07:38 PM

Thanks!! This will actually be #9...I have 8 ranging in age from 4 to 19... :)

JudyTheSewer 12-21-2012 07:41 PM

Lucky you! I don't have any grandchildren yet - it might be awhile. And, congratulations on having a sewing room! I know I was going crazy during the four months I didn't have one. Happy sewing!