Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SteveH 01-16-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5791156)
I have an attachment that goes on the singer 66 that makes a reverse stitch. It's a bugger to put on but it works.

Wow! I would LOVE to see a few photos of THAT....

J Miller 01-16-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5791156)
I have an attachment that goes on the singer 66 that makes a reverse stitch. It's a bugger to put on but it works.

I'd like to have one of those. I have two 66 treadles I could put it one.

Joe

vintagemotif 01-16-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5790955)
Miriam, you always put a smile on our faces! Just practice! I never thought I'd be a treadler either - all I did when I first started was go back and forth and break thread! So frustrating! Now I don't even think about whether I am treadling or sewing with an electric machine. Same thing for me, except I am not as fast with the treadle!

As far as piecing with a treadle - I usually chain piece so no back tacking necessary. When I finish piecing and start to assemble the block I like to back tack. At that point I will switch to my 319w, or my 15-88 that has back tack. If I stay with the treadle without a back tack, I do what Misseva does, and just turn the stitch length to zero for 2 or 3 stitches! That is the way I put bindings on my quilts with Betty, my Davis Vertical Feed who does not back tack!

Nancy

Nancy, I remember back when you were first starting to treadle. You were frustrated then, and I talked you into just keep practicing. I can treadle fairly fast with my treadle, which is fast enough for me.

I do not even back tack when I assemble my blocks since I try to do them in a chain method if I can get away with it. When blocks get put into rows, then I may back tack if I remember to do so. Somehow my quilts all get assembled and quilted without even one back tack. :)

DanofNJ 01-16-2013 07:24 PM

The you post the reverse stitch mechanism for the 66? I'd love to see it.

purplefiend 01-16-2013 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5791609)
Nancy, I remember back when you were first starting to treadle. You were frustrated then, and I talked you into just keep practicing. I can treadle fairly fast with my treadle, which is fast enough for me.

I do not even back tack when I assemble my blocks since I try to do them in a chain method if I can get away with it. When blocks get put into rows, then I may back tack if I remember to do so. Somehow my quilts all get assembled and quilted without even one back tack. :)

I've only been treadling since about 2007 and have learned to treadle fairly quickly too. I do most of my sewing with the treadles. Dh and some of my quilty friends just don't get it. They think I'm a bit touched in the head.
Sharon

craftiladi 01-17-2013 05:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5787484)
Trish I think everyone's busy trying to keep their New Year's resolutions! I am busy trying to finish all my unfinished projects, then after swearing I would not start another quilt until I finish a couple that have been sitting around - I started another Mystery Quilt! But, in my defense, I got two quilts quilted, working on the 3rd one now! So I guess I am not completely breaking my New Year's resolution yet!

Nancy

Exactly why i haven't been here much.....I am determined to get caught up. But then I have also had a few distractions....he he

jennb 01-17-2013 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi (Post 5792234)
Exactly why i haven't been here much.....I am determined to get caught up. But then I have also had a few distractions....he he

Oh that yellow brother is so cute! I want a yellow machine!

Crossstitcher 01-17-2013 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 5791652)
The you post the reverse stitch mechanism for the 66? I'd love to see it.

I'll get pictures as soon as I can. Calling for 4-8" of snow and machine is in a building away from house. Have to get prepaired incase power goes off.

Sharon, people think I am crazy too when I tell them I like to treadle. Then tell them how many machines we have and the look on there faces. Most of them call it a peddle machine or they move there hands up and down. Oh well each to there own.

Crossstitcher 01-17-2013 06:28 AM

Craftiladi, I like your machines and really like the blue Kenmore.

BoJangles 01-17-2013 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5791609)

Yep, I was frustrated. My DH sat down and treadled our first treadle the day we unloaded it in the garage - a 27 with the Pheasant decals! I tried and just couldn't do it at all! But, thanks to you all, I kept trying! Now I treadle as fast as that pedal will go - which is still slower than an electric machine could go! I agree with Skip, to be accurate I don't need to sew pedal to the metal. A little slower is much more accurate! It is great exercise and it is very relaxing to sit and treadle! I have a lot of respect for those women who use to treadle all day - my legs ache after a couple hours of treadling!

I also chain stitch my blocks together, but I usually back tack each row beginning and end as they go together. I don't want the blocks to come apart when I stretch them on the long arm table. I only free motion my smaller projects, the queen/king sized quilts have to be rolled on a long arm, which is harder on your stitching. I also use a very small stitch per inch so no distortion happens to my blocks on the LA table.

Nancy