Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

KenmoreRulesAll 04-30-2014 01:11 PM

Linda and Steve, thanks for the information and that video is a really good intro to these machines. Amazingly quiet and so simple to operate, even at the end of a chain where you cut the tail on top. I'm interested in the automatic tensioner and am wondering how it adjusts automatically. I assume there's a vertical mechanism...? And the underside of the stitch is beautifully done.

I too have purchased a machine where someone recently died. It was sad at first but I knew that I was helping him out so I was happy to buy it and I wished them all well. It's strange that I valued the machine more than they did, as I didn't know her; their mother had treated it so lovingly and it seemed to me that they considered the machine merely an item to be rid of.

SteveH 04-30-2014 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 6698248)
...so I am also looking for a manual.

I sent you a PM. I have a copy that I can share.

oldsewnsew 04-30-2014 01:38 PM

I just won a New Home with only a clamp screw that's a W&G chainstitch clone. Are there free downloads on ISMAC for the manual?

SewExtremeSeams 04-30-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6698327)
I sent you a PM. I have a copy that I can share.

thanks Steve, I just sent you an email. I did find a great chart for where to oil. It is beginning to move a little more. I figure another day in the sun will help. Also, I need to replace the belt or tighten it. It actually doesn't look to be in too bad of shape but it is certainly stretched out.

SewExtremeSeams 04-30-2014 02:22 PM

What if I got oil in the automatic tensioner?

annwinters99 04-30-2014 07:20 PM

Hello. I'm hoping you or someone here can help me locate a part for my Singer Model 31-15 treadle machine. My best friend gave me her grandmother's machine. It's missing just a few parts, most of which I've been able to locate. But the one that eludes me is the table leaf support. It's a curved and tapered metal bracket which attaches to the leaf. When the leaf is raised, the tip with a notch hooks to the iron leg. I see them on one drawer extension tables. My table has a leaf to the left, and one to the back. If you know where I can find one, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks. Ann

singerguy 04-30-2014 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by annwinters99 (Post 6698663)
Hello. I'm hoping you or someone here can help me locate a part for my Singer Model 31-15 treadle machine. My best friend gave me her grandmother's machine. It's missing just a few parts, most of which I've been able to locate. But the one that eludes me is the table leaf support. It's a curved and tapered metal bracket which attaches to the leaf. When the leaf is raised, the tip with a notch hooks to the iron leg. I see them on one drawer extension tables. My table has a leaf to the left, and one to the back. If you know where I can find one, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks. Ann

this is the part that you need, isn't it ? this came from THIS FORUM .

just in case, here's the MANUAL FOR YOUR REFERENCE

miriam 05-01-2014 01:58 AM

Nothing like that in my horde. You may have to go on Ebay for that one.

Mizkaki 05-01-2014 12:25 PM

Linda,

The auto tensioner has leather inside. This is damaged by oil.

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 6698377)
What if I got oil in the automatic tensioner?

SewExtremeSeams 05-01-2014 05:41 PM

You were right Steve, overnight loosened everything and my newly acquired W&G is purring like a kitten. Yippeeee!