Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Rodney 01-07-2016 06:14 AM

At least they didn't drill through them to make a lamp.
The finish is only original once. Any repaint-even back to original appearance-affects the value in a negative way to collectors.
There are some exceptions. A badly rusted machine with no or very little original finish is one. In that case removing the rust and giving it a new finish will extend the life of the machine. The problem is there are people who are repainting good machines just because they can.
Rodney

SteveH 01-07-2016 08:33 AM

Yeah, it is the garish modern looking super shiny, hard to ever undo finish that irks me the most....

manicmike 01-14-2016 07:15 PM

Singer 99K

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I'm just going to quote myself, as I excitedly told the story about this machine on Facebook:
Only a 99K, but given to me by the original owner (who bought it new when she was 15). She had oiled regularly but never had it cleaned, so it was filled up with dust bunnies and solid oil-lint paste. Took quite a while to get rid of it all, but she's now working like it's 1937 again. Does a really nice buttonhole.
It came with the original accessory box, which was missing a few bits and needed a little attention (clips bent slightly so they work again), and the bentwood cover in excellent condition. I'm calling her Dot after her original owner, a tailoress, who sewed uniforms for the army and navy in England during WW2.
She chewed my ear off for an hour, but it was a very pleasant one. Her relatives say she spends too much time talking about the past. She's nearly 94, has gone through WW2, husband has died, still does all her own cooking, cleaning and sewing (just on
a lighter machine now because, well, she's 94!). She's earned the right to spend as long talking about her interesting life as she pleases. Wish she weren't moving interstate, or I'd love to visit her every week.

These are before and after.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540168[/ATTACH]

Cari-in-Oly 01-14-2016 09:18 PM

Very nice Mike!

Cari

19cats 01-15-2016 06:46 AM

Nothing "only" about her, Mike. She's a beauty!

SteveH 01-15-2016 08:15 AM

Fantastic machine and History! That's a keeper!!!

Crossstitcher 01-15-2016 10:48 AM

Isn't it nice to have an older machine that has an interesting story with it. Bet she can tell you some stories about the uniforms she what worked on and for who. Enjoy your machine she is a beauty.

sewbeadit 01-15-2016 05:02 PM

Looks great, lucky you.

Rodney 01-15-2016 07:06 PM

99s are one of my favorites. Great machine!
Rodney

QuiltnNan 01-17-2016 05:34 AM

this thread is being closed because it contains more posts about personal trials and tribulations than advice about Vintage Machines. If you want to share your personal stories, please post them in PDA just as the other members do. It is very difficult for those looking for machine advice to wade through the personal stuff. And there are too many copyright pictures posted here. If you find a picture on another site that you want to discuss, use a link to it. I would suggest that you start a new thread about help with vintage machines and keep it on topic so that our members and visitors can find the information they are seeking.