Project machine

Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Midway has Kroil too:
{ http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Kroil } $14.79 + shipping for the 8 OZ can.

Joe
Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

The Kroil site has the best deal I've seen. Have you tried the stuff, Joe?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:04 PM

I have a couple off the wall places to check around here. Miriam, IF I find any at a decent price I'll send you some for helping me out with this.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM

I have had two really really badly rust jammed machines. One was a Singer 99 the other a Wizard.
The Wizard took a propane torch as a heat source along with oil and light tapping on the top of the needle bar to loosen it up. There is no plastic in that area so that didn't hurt anything. Once freed up I removed the bar, cleaned it and the bore thoroughly and reassembled it. Works fine now.

The Singer 99 had a rusted tight needle bar and the oscillating hook was rusted tight too. Getting the needle bar freed up took lots of penetrating oil, I used Liquid Wrench this time, no plastic in there either, and some gentle tapping.
The hook, well the bobbin case was rusted onto the hook so I ended up breaking it. But with lots of oil and some coercion it freed up.

Rusted shafts in bores are a royal pain to get freed up. Sometimes you just got to get serious with them and quit being nice and cautious.

Joe
Old 05-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
The Kroil site has the best deal I've seen. Have you tried the stuff, Joe?
Nope, I never have tried it. The guys on the shooting forums swear by it though.

Joe
Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

I saw one on a Ford guy site about ATM fluid and acetate - scary though.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crocee
I have a couple off the wall places to check around here. Miriam, IF I find any at a decent price I'll send you some for helping me out with this.
I ordered 2 cans of it - it should keep - I have plenty of experiments waiting for it...
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM

I saw one on a Ford guy site about ATM fluid and acetate - scary though.
That would be ATF and ACETONE. A very nice solvent when combined. However there are three caveats to using this combo.
A: The acetone evaporates quickly so you need to keep it in a sealed container.
B: The acetone is very flammable so it must be used away from any source of ignition.
C: The acetone is capable of giving the user a screaming, splitting headache as it's a very nasty solvent. It must be used in a well ventilated area.

I have used this combo on some stuck Nissan parts. Worked pretty good. Much better than spending mucho dinero on a a tiny dinky part.

Joe
Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

OK so I had it wrong. It would peel paint of at 100 feet away, too I betcha.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM

Miriam,

Kroil can be purchased at Kanolabs.com
Last time I ordered I got a 8oz can plus their google special (two spray cans of Aerokroil). When I run low on the liquid in the 8oz can I spray the Aerokroil into a jar and use it that way. I don't use aerosols since they waste a lot of product. To get the special: http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

i have 2 super stuck machines, too. Mizkaki has recommended Kroil oil like you would use oil, careful of the paint and heat. Turn it every direction and turn the hand wheel. On mine the bottom moves freely for reverse and free motion. We are thinking the stuck part is the needle bar. I took apart the pressure bar - it had some kind of bad dried up oil in there. Once cleaned it works fine. I assume the needle bar has the same. I haven't found a local source of Kroil yet. It is on my to do list. I have two machines stuck. Mizkaki says when they are like that it is usually the needle bar.