Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Puzzle Box (Style 8?), nearly complete. Need help. >

Puzzle Box (Style 8?), nearly complete. Need help.

Puzzle Box (Style 8?), nearly complete. Need help.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Default Puzzle Box (Style 8?), nearly complete. Need help.

Hi QB Gang. Long time no post... I've been busy and I have not had the time to tinker for many months. I am finally taking a few days off, and I am trying to sort through a large box of loot, in order to make complete my Puzzle box, and then give away the rest of the loot.

Could you please help me with this? Here is a photo of my puzzle box. I already learned a lot by reading CD's thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...a-t254571.htmland MacyBaby's thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t270334.html

So, here is my photo, and I would really appreciated it if anyone can let me know what is missing, and also if I have anything wrong so far.

Thank you. and I hope you all are well, happy, and healthy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538813[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_9067.jpg   img_9066.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 04:29 PM

Here are a few pieces which I believe belong in the box, but I cannot figure out how/where. Any ideas? Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538816[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_9068.jpg  

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 12-26-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Hmm- you need the thread I posted recently outlining exactly what is in each box- Gotta go see if I can find it. . .
Old 12-26-2015, 04:57 PM

still looking, though I found it but it was the wrong one.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:01 PM

First picture - tucker is wrong, that is the newer style that came out AFTER the puzzle box was discontinued.

If you read through the post you listed above, I posted pictures of ALL the correct attachments that went with each style. Your box is style 11.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:17 PM

Thanks Macybaby... I re-read the post again... I have made a bit of headway - I think I have the correct tucker now?

Got a few feet now in 7, 8, and 9... and a non-correct black-handled screwdriver... The ruffler is what is really taxing my pea-brain... I think I have the correct one, but CD's post showed a funky shirring plate, of which I have one (photo below), and I am wondering whether it belongs in this equation?

So, here is my puzzle box, now nearly complete:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538819[/ATTACH]

And here is the mystery plate:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538820[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_9075.jpg   img_9076.jpg  

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 12-26-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:52 AM

What you have is the correct shirr plate for Box Style 11. (VS or 27 version). All the other styles have a different shirr plate

It is normally tucked under the ruffler.

Also looks like you are missing the set screw for the foot that the hemmers attach to. It is what holds the hemmers to the foot, so it's a rather important part - and very often missing, as is the set nut for the quilt guide.

Edit: it looks like the screw you have with the guide is the correct set screw for the hemmer. The one for the seam guide has a larger screw head, a shoulder to hold down the guide and longer threads- just like what you will find on the other Singers. In the picture below, noticed how much larger the screw that goes in that spot is.

The hemmer foot normally sits free - and the end of the tucker clips into where you have it in the box. The quilting guide tucks under that part of the three prong guide, and you have to futz with it to get the box to close properly as it easily gets in the way of the ruffler.

Here is a picture from the manual for style 11. Notice that the hemmer foot is not shown in the box, but it is listed on the parts list. And you can see the shirr plate tucked under the ruffler.

http://needlebar.org/main/puzzles/style11/index.html

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-27-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I am going to have to go thru the feet and items I received when I bought my treadle. Maybe someone on this board could use them.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Thank you so much, Macybaby! I really appreciate your help.

I found a screw to fit the foot to which the hemmers attach - phew!!! I now have things as complete as they will be. I am missing a screwdriver and a stylus/pick, but that is okay.

So many of these things I just have no idea how to use - whew, gotta get sewing, to put some to good use!

Thanks again, Macybaby.