Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Puzzle Box peices - ruffler and shirr plates >

Puzzle Box peices - ruffler and shirr plates

Puzzle Box peices - ruffler and shirr plates

Old 09-23-2015, 04:57 PM

Default Puzzle Box peices - ruffler and shirr plates

If any of you have information to add to what I've got here, please share!

I've found information for Style 1, 2, 3 and 7,8,9,10 and 11. I've seen pictures from manuals for all of them but #2 - however that box is "assumed" to be #2 as it fits between 1 and 3 in attachment types.

We'll start with the ruffler -

The left is the long ruffler used in boxes 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8. The one I have pictured has a funny bend to the uptake arm. I've seen this style for the earlier boxes (1 & 2) while later styles show a similar ruffler with the uptake arm more streamlined in shape (more like what the others look like).

The other three are found in box 9, 10 and 11

These are the same rufflers with the removable shirr plate detached. This gets removed to use the bed mount shirr plate for doing shirr work.

And here are the shirr plates that go with the rufflers. The top row is the VS (27) type, the bottom row is the corresponding IF (15) type

The first is what you'll see in boxes 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8. The left plate (fiddle base) is found in the VS version of style 9, and the square end plate is found in the VS version of style 10. Though I've seen some that appear to be 9 with the square end plate also. The lower is the IF (15) version for both styles 9 and 10. The farthest right is the type found in box 11

Here is a picture showing the IF plate installed

Old 09-23-2015, 05:03 PM

The next is the tucker. There are three basic types (my middle one is missing the set screws)

Left is found in boxes 1, 2 and 3. Middle is found in 7 and right is found in 8,9,10,and 11

however I've seen two styles of the middle one -

and the underbraider.

Style 1 and 2 do not have an underbraider, instead they have a braiding foot. All the rest use the same underbraider - VS on top and IF on bottom.

Here is a close up of the braiding foot. the braid would feed into the front hole.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 PM

And then comes the hemmers and the attachment foot to go with them. Styles 1 and 2 have a different style, the rest of the boxes have the same. This shows the attachment foot and one hemmer

This is the back of the early style attachment foot - the lever is attached to a cam that tightens the back against the foot when turned

And then there is the quilting foot, guide and narrow hemmer (sometimes called the Foot Hemmer). These three, along with the edge guide, large and small screwdrivers and stilleto appear in all the styles, however the bias guide is not listed with style 1

Old 09-23-2015, 05:28 PM

Now on to the boxes.

I do not have style #1 - it is very different in that is has removable screws that hold the pieces into the box - it does not have the bar that all the rest have to hold the hemmer sets.

This is box #2 - while the mounting bar is the same as used in the later sets, it is mounted in the middle of the section. Also notice the middle holder on the three prong holder in the middle. It has curved edges to hold the small braider foot. Compare it to the middle holder in box 3 below, it's wider and flat to hold the hemmer attachment foot. Also note that box #2 has no clip to hold the underbraider in the left most section.

The rest is basically the same as style #3 (shown below)

The early boxes (1, 2, and 3) have a hook for closure. I have seen style 7 with both the hook and the latch.

Styles 8 to 11 have a latch. The copyright imprint is a bit farther back on the box, and it has the two pins visible from the outside - and the spring latch on the inside. It also has the grove in the lower section to make opening the box easier.

The bobbin holder for the VS styles is the same for all boxes. The IF holder has two styles,

On the left is the style for boxes 1-8, and the right is found on boxes 9-11.

The older style holder is actually too small to hold the bobbins that fit into the bobbin case. Early IF machines did not use a bobbin case, and used bobbins more similar to that used in the 66. It's also a bit limited because the bobbin has to be full of thread in order to stay put. Empty bobbins fall out.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:45 PM

And more boxes.

Style 7 and 8 are very similar - except for the tucker holder. 7 had two tabs and 8 has one.

These three are all style 7 (left is missing one of the tucker holders). The left two are VS - one with hook closure and one with latch - the right is the IF version. Of the two tucker holders, the one holder is to the far end, the other in the middle and lower down.

Here is the style 8 - it only has one tucker holder, and it's more centrally located.

This is another difference - the bump to hold the end of the tucker - styles 8, 9, 10 and 11 are all like this.

Box 9 is similar except for a very different ruffler/shirr plate holder.

From what I've seen - boxes 10 and 11 are the same. They have the same holders as box 8 and 9 except that holding the ruffler and shirr plate. The rest of the holders are the same.

I've seen boxes with the location of the underbraider and screwdriver holders swapped - I think that was dependent on who ever was installing them, and not specific to any style. There are also later versions of style #11 that has five digit part numbers stamped on the attachments, while the others have a single or two digit number that is more the location in the box than the part number.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM

There is also a box for the model 24 Chainstitch machine.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 PM

What an amazing chronicle! I've saved this so I can look at my Puzzle box and see what I actually have.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:52 PM

I find this so very interesting. I had no clue there were different box types, etc. Loved all the pictures and will be coming back to look at them. I haven't ever collected many attachments and don't know much about them at all but I think it is cool that you do. I can look at the boxes on ebay differently now, they aren't all the same like I thought they were.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:25 AM

It's also interesting that with all the different styles, box 11 for model 27 (VS) is by far the most common. I think Singer was making changes quite fast and then got to style 11 and settled there until they stopped offering the wooden box.

My next challenge is to collect manuals to go with each one, and research dates to see if I can get a good idea of what years each style was offered. It does appear that they change to the wire bobbin holder was to accommodate the bigger bobbins for the 15 with the bobbin case instead of the early IF that had the long beak shuttle, and did not use a bobbin case.

And it's obvious that the style 9 and earlier were for fiddle base machines. The very early VS machines have a narrow slide plate, so box 9 is the first one that would NOT work for the very early VS machines. And 10 and on are for the rectangular based machines. I don't know when Singer switched and started referring to that machine as model 27.

And this is why sometimes you'll see a puzzle box that sells for way more than most - it's one of the rare, early models. Though most often when a puzzle box sells high - it's because there is a rare, non-puzzle box attachment tucked inside the box. It's rare to find a "complete" box, and it's also common to find them with non-standard attachments included. Many sellers have no clue, and think their box is "complete" because it's got a lot of items. I've seen some that had almost no puzzle box parts. Looks like someone had used the box to put all their 66 attachments inside. Singer has stopped using the puzzle box by the time they came out with model 66.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 AM

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
Thank you so much for putting this together. AND sharing it with us.
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.