Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quick! What's the difference between 15/115 again? >

Quick! What's the difference between 15/115 again?

Quick! What's the difference between 15/115 again?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the link, miriam. I will try that.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Why want one? because you don't have one . . . if that is the case. Bobbin cases are harder to find, as are bobbins, so if you get a 115, make sure you get them.
Well, I have to say I'd make room in my collection for a full rotary version of the 15!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 AM

The 115 bobbin case shares with a 20U industrial machine. The bobbin cases are trivial to find.

Try these links:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216990.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t240338.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t235346.html

My 115 is a "Wings", and I've used it for a couple of small projects but haven't bonded with it. I can't say why though.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 AM

Thanks Tammi. I knew there were a bunch of links but when I'm on my phone asking is easier.

I've been looking at these machines for months, while I love the decals, they just don't call to me.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Thanks Tammi. I knew there were a bunch of links but when I'm on my phone asking is easier.

I've been looking at these machines for months, while I love the decals, they just don't call to me.
That's the best reason not to get them.
Rodney
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM

I need to get my 1918 Singer 115 fired up one of these days. It’s not serviced and still electric, but I’ll probably convert it to treadle or hand crank. I would imagine that it was a treadle-powered machine when it was new, so I’ll restore it to its original configuration.

I’ve hung onto it because it’s an oddball in that it’s got a combination of two different decal sets on it, probably as a result of its electrification sometime in the 1940s. It has Paper Clip decals on the arm and bed center, and Knots & Rectangles around the bed border.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine292_05.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

LOL maybe they had some of each left over so they used them or maybe they were trying to see if they could do decals...
Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
LOL maybe they had some of each left over so they used them or maybe they were trying to see if they could do decals...
Could be!

It has a 1942 penny in the needle bar area. It was there when I got the machine and I have left it. I’ve heard that there was a practice of putting a new penny in the Singer machines by repair shops that electrified old machines, to indicate what year the machine was electrified, but I don’t know if there is any truth to that. I don’t see why knowing the year of electrification would be all that important to anyone, and having a penny in there behind the face plate could foul up the works, so I imagine that was just a rumor. Although, there is enough room for the penny to rest in there without touching any of the working parts, so who knows?

I think it’s more likely that since the slot for the take-up lever looks so much like a coin slot, some poor child probably lost their penny when Mom wasn’t looking.

CD in Oklahoma