For the quilters

Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Thanks for this, Sunflowerzz. This is a great video, and I agree with everything the guy says. What a beauty his machine is!

I have a 15-91 and will never give it up. It is a super machine. I also have several Model 15 clones and love them. I have fmq with all of them and had no problems. I do want to point out that when you have a vertical bobbin, especially in a vintage Singer, you can expect to have a great fmq machine. BTW. I had my 15-91 on a quilting frame and it did just fine.

Given the list of machines you have, I would piece with the Featherweight and fmq quilt with the Model 15 clone or maybe the Supernova.

Cricket
Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Allow me to point out something to those of you who want to fmq with a vintage machine, especially a Singer, but do not have feed dogs that drop or a machine that free-motion quilts well. I have tried the following on several machines, including a Singer 99 with and without feed dogs covered (they don't drop). A student of mine who has considerable trouble doing everything on a sewing machine was able to fmq with this idea.

The idea is a Stoppax darning attachment. Do you know what that is? It is an attachment that was made in Denmark, I think, more than 60 years ago. Using this, I can fmq on my treadle Singer 127 and quite a few other machines. Here is a link. (The normal price is 60 dollars and up.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stop...item3f319f21f9

Cricket
Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Ok, I gotta try making one of those.... anyone know the gauge of wire used? Looks like 16ga
Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Steve,

Want to borrow mine to copy? (when I find it ....somewhere in that cavern called a sewing room).

Cathy

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Ok, I gotta try making one of those.... anyone know the gauge of wire used? Looks like 16ga
Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 PM

You are welcome, I love video clips. I did decide to piece with the FW and to FMQ with the Supernova for now. So thanks for the confirmation there. It just seemed like the best way and I do love sewing with both of them. I have a couple of treadles too. I also was thinking of turning my Necchi BU Mira into a treadle. Hmmm, so may ideas running around in my head! I'am thinking I may just have to adopt one of Miriams 15-91s she mentioned in an earlier post.

" Given the list of machines you have, I would piece with the Featherweight and fmq quilt with the Model 15 clone or maybe the Supernova.

Cricket "
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM

It doesn't have to be a 15-91. In all my years of sewing never has a machine with a motor belt ever gotten in the way when I'm quilting.
Sharon
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Steve,

Want to borrow mine to copy? (when I find it ....somewhere in that cavern called a sewing room).

Cathy
Sure! Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM

Steve, I don't know the gauge of the wire, but I can tell you it doesn't give at all. Very sturdy.

You could make a lot of money selling these if you price them reasonably and there is no patent problem.

Cricket
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Banned

I am sure it is spring steel. We will see when Cathy brings her's by. "Make lots of money" nahh. maybe make a few for friends and the like.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Steve - when you look it over, see if you think it would put stress on either the needle bar or the presser bar. My concern is that it's going to be putting a bit of sideways force on the two (pressure to pull them towards each other that they would not normally have).

I'm asking this because I have this issue with my 15" quilting machine - the presser bar was set a bit low so the needle was slightly lifting the presser bar and not just picking up the foot via the spring hopping part. I raised the presser bar about 1/8" so it no longer does that.

It just seemed to me to be something you would not want to have your machine doing on a regular basis. maybe OK for an occasional job, but not the FMQ most of use want to use the machine to do. However my husband commented that the older machines are much stouter compared to the newer ones.

My goal is to put a top clamp on a hopping foot. I've got plenty of both to experiment with.