For the quilters

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Default For the quilters

I am getting ready to make my second quilt, the first one having been created 10 years ago for my cousins wedding gift. it was a photo quilt, simple squares and it turned out beautiful. But I have not wanted to make another one until now.

I read that Lizzie Lenard said a 15-91 was the ultimate FMQ machine but she didn't really say why. It seems lots of other peeps agree with her. Does anyone know why this little machine is preferred? I have a beautiful little Morse 300 Deluxe that I think is a 15 clone but not sure if it is a 15-91 clone.

I was going to sell it but now I may use it for my first quilt. I do have a dozen or so machines cleaned up in my collection. A Supernova, BU Mira, Singer Touch and Sew, A Pfaff 131, Singer 99, Singer 403A, 1888 VS2, Feather weight, New Home ( one of my Favs) and several more.

I know you can probably FMQ with many different machines but I am looking for answers as to why so many claim the 15-91 is their choice. I would think any of the machines I have listed above would be suitable? Would any be outstanding?

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 03-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 PM

There are a few reasons why the 15-91 is commonly preferred. You can drop the feed dogs, the bobbin is easier to change than a drop-in bobbin in the middle of quilting, and the potted motor helps keep the quilt clean (belted motors can get in the way).
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Dropping the feed dogs is a big thing. It's also heavy enough to stay put. I had issues with the 301 wanting to move around a bit more.

And a real big plus for me was visibility - not having the tension knob sticking out in front of my eyes was very nice - compared to trying it on machines with the tension facing me. I think it's a lot of little things - and nothing that is a huge thing.

I have not FMQ anything larger than a lap quilt, so I don't have an opinion about dealing with a large quilt in the harp area. I do the big stuff with my 15" harp machine.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
KLO

Cathy, I must show your response to my hubby. He bought me a 15-91 we saw at an antique mall back at the end of January but I told him it was too much money at the time. He went out on Valentine's Day after a pretty good snow storm the day before in order to pick it up. I was shocked! It had all kinds of attachments in the drawers including the sock and flat darners. He will be so pleased to read your review ..... and so am I. Have to finish cleaning it up so I can use it. I never thought about the visibility thing but I can see where that would be a plus.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Terrific reasons and they all make perfect sense. Thank you all very much for replying.. I knew there had to be some good reasons. I think my Morse 300 Deluxe is a 15-91 clone but I need to dig a little deeper to find out for sure. And she sews wonderfully.

Here she is before we cleaned her up and redid her electrical. I was going to rehome her because of the odd placement of the tension assembly. Go figure!! I am off to look very closely at the 15-91's to compare. DRATS! Mine doesn't have the potted motor!
Attached Thumbnails 443960d1383075352-img_4984.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 03-10-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Terrific reasons and they all make perfect sense. Thank you all very much for replying.. I knew there had to be some good reasons. I think my Morse 300 Deluxe is a 15-91 clone but I need to dig a little deeper to find out for sure. And she sews wonderfully.

Here she is before we cleaned her up and redid her electrical. I was going to rehome her because of the odd placement of the tension assembly. Go figure!! I am off to look very closely at the 15-91's to compare. DRATS! Mine doesn't have the potted motor!
Yes, that is a 15-clone. None of the clones have a potted motor. You will have to get a real 15-91 to get that feature.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Double drats!!! I think I will just go with my queen bee, my Necchi Supernova until I come across a genuine 15-91. I love all the things I learn on this forum. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM

You can always try the clone. A lot of it is personal preference. Practice with both of them and see which one feels better and is easier for you to maneuver. Since they both use Class 15 bobbins, you wouldn't even have to wind a new bobbin if you switch in the middle of a project.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Sounds good to me. I want to make some quilted placemats for the dining table. That should give me some pretty good comparisons since each one will be made the same. I think I will also use two other machines so four total to really compare. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 AM

Oh wow I HAVE one in my collection and never gave it a thought. Have to haul her out and play.