For the quilters

Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
It doesn't have to be a 15-91. In all my years of sewing never has a machine with a motor belt ever gotten in the way when I'm quilting.
Sharon
This is great news, Do you do the rolled up way or the stuff and fluff or fluff and stuff?, whatever the heck it is?? I plan on trying the Stuff and fluff way.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I use my 15-91 for FMQing because:
1. The feed dogs drop
2. It has the largest harp of any machine I own
3. Very good visibility
4. It has a verticle bobbin which means it has one less twist that the bobbin thread has to go through. Also makes it easier to change the bobbin in the middle of a quilt.
5. It is the only machine I have that is so forgiving that it will sew in any direction without thread breaks, bird's nests or eyelashes on the back of the quilt.
6. It is easy to clean and maintain.
7. It's pretty.
8. I feel connected to the past when I use it!
Everything mentioned here could also apply to the 15-90. I've said tons of times in other threads that the 15-90 is just as capable for what we're doing here with one possible exception - the motor does hang into the harp space a little. In practice, this has never been a problem for me because my machines are extrememly clean before I use them for sewing. (motors disassembled, cases cleaned of all oil and grime and all excess carbon removed from inside so there's none to sneeze on to the quilt) Yes, my quilt rubbed up against the motor. No, it has no marks from the motor.

I hate to see the 15-90s overlooked for this sort of work, because they really are excellent machines for it.

If the space in the harp is a problem for FMQ, turn the machine 90 degrees so the nose faces you, it may help.

Pretty much all of the above is true for most of the clones as well, which are based on the 15-88ish non-motorized machines, if memory serves, which are also great for FMQ, if you have that sort of coordination.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've done smaller projects on a 91 and a 90 (belted motor) with no problems - but I can imagine where not having the belt would be an advantage with larger quilts. I've gotten things wrapped up in motor belts before, and it isn't a pretty sight.
Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
It doesn't have to be a 15-91. In all my years of sewing never has a machine with a motor belt ever gotten in the way when I'm quilting.
Sharon
I didn't come close to the belt at all with the quilt,... I'd be curious to know if MacyBaby has her machines up against a wall to let it bunch up there to let that sort of thing happen? Most of the quilt I did on the 15-90 was done on 2 banquet tables back to back so it just floated out and it didn't even approach the belt...

As for dropping the dogs - some well known FMQers don't do it. They just set the stitch length to 0 and sew. Leah Day would be one of those people. She feels that it gives her better stitches too.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Ok... so what is a potted motor?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Ok, I googled it, it's a machine with a direct drive, no belt involved.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Steve,

Want to borrow mine to copy? (when I find it ....somewhere in that cavern called a sewing room).

Cathy
here is my first try tonight...

Top one is original and adjustable two piece
Bottom one is my one piece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470127[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2014-04-04-20.21.01.jpg