Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Reference guide for Singer feet? >

Reference guide for Singer feet?

Reference guide for Singer feet?

Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 PM
KLO

Default Reference guide for Singer feet?

I just read a thread on identifying sewing machine feet and am wondering if there is some sort of reference guide for doing just that. Does anyone know of such a beast? I would love to have something that I could turn to when I want to figure out what foot I have and what it is used for on the older Singers. Several of you seem to know about every foot that was ever made but I don't have that knowledge and so would love to have a guide I could see/read. Thanks if you can help.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM

I just finished reading the book "Sewing Machine Secrets" and it covers modern sewing machine attachments but I don't think it's quite what you're thinking of.
I end up using youtube a lot when I'm trying to figure out how to use them but you need to know what foot you have to find anything useful.
Rodney
Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Here's one list with instructions from Singer, but it probably doesn't include all the old feet you'll find:

http://www.singerco.com/sewing-resou...sser-feet-help
Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 AM
KLO

Thanks you guys! I will check out that book, Rodney. There is another book titled Sewing Machine Accessory Bible that I thought might help but I have not found one to look at yet and I don't want to just buy another book without checking it out. I also use youtube a lot but you are right, one has to know what the foot is called first in order to look it up.

NapaJohn, thanks for that link. I have bookmarked it for future reference. It is definitely something I will want to spend some time with.

My hope was that there might be a "chart" of feet with names and numbers attached so I would have something in hand to compare. Then I could search the name or number to get more info. Maybe one of the Singer sites has something like that. The search is on!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 AM

Don't forget your local library as a source for books. Most libraries will also borrow books from other libraries if they don't have what you want.
Rodney
Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Don't forget your local library as a source for books. Most libraries will also borrow books from other libraries if they don't have what you want.
Rodney

Thanks for that suggestion. I did try the local library but most of the books are about sewing different things although there was one listed about collecting machines. I'll have to check into that to see if it includes feet.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM
KLO

I just saw a listing for a book called The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook. The reviews say that it is all about older machines and feet so this might be what I need. In fact some reviewers gave it a bad recommendation because it did not refer to newer models. Anyone have this?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I just saw a listing for a book called The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook. The reviews say that it is all about older machines and feet so this might be what I need. In fact some reviewers gave it a bad recommendation because it did not refer to newer models. Anyone have this?
I have this book and love it. Great for vintage attachments, not sure if it was ever intended for modern attachments...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 AM

Try the Creative Feet website to help identify the feet. It is quite extensive.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:38 PM
KLO

Thanks, Linda! I am happy to hear that you like the book. You are right, it was not intended for the newer computerized machines but for the manual ones instead. Now to find one .....