A Relapse of SMAD - A saga

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM

Great story....see we are all in good company.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Beautiful industrial machine! I want one just like it.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Thinking about it, the manual says that the machine can take up to a #23 needle. I had only #25 with me, and between that, the possibility of not seating the needle completely, and the likelihood of the needlebar being too low (how does that happen? I understand it being pushed up from a collision, but not down, short of a hit from the top with an anvil...) it may be a fairly simple fix. We shall see. I will chronicle some of the things I find. This one might even get DH interested in sewing.... yeah, maybe not.

Anastasia
- I've actually decided I'm going to put in an email to an acquaintance who used to own the Singer shop in town. I want to know why he wouldn't work on them.

The needles didn't really surprise me, probably mostly because I had a pack here already, and they're the same needles (roughly) that the Long arm uses. I sometimes think on a good day that I could thread them though with one eye closed and just throwing the thread through the eye of the needle.

Perhaps some bitter apple or something would encourage sharp little teeth away from the belt?

minibarn - No kidding! I practically started drooling when I saw that light. I think it's wired to the motor though, so I'm going to see if that's negotiable, because my little brain is seeing this as a table / motor that might be able to do double duty for some other tools...

Rodney - You would not be popular with the machine in the living room, not if you fired it up. It reminded me of our table saw when it started up. Granted it was cold and had sat for some time, but it's no 201 that you can sew in front of the TV with and no one will hear it running. Definitely a "Shop" machine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6647514 - The photos she'd posted (and in fact the first one I posted) somehow managed to completely hide any trace of the motor at all, so I'd mused that maybe it was a figment of someone's imagination.

Caroline - That's one of the things that drew me to it. Most of the ones I've seen around here were missing more paint than they still had. This one doesn't even have pin rash for the most part. There are chips at the leading edge, but that's it.

MacyBaby - I'm pretty sure this is a throwback to when I was looking like crazy for these for people and not finding them for under $600 and usually closer to $850. I started seeing them and thinking "Oh the things I could do...." I love your idea of corralling your machines. I would love to do that but we're in town and the town says we have to remove the one shed we have because we've used up too much of our property with the garage we built. Meddlers.

Miriam - I didn't really look at the stitch length. I saw a video on youtube and it looked adequate. What does the 241 do or not do?

SteveH - I'm really impressed with how good it looks. I thought if I got one, especially at a good price that it would look like the ones Caroline mentioned.

I will refinish the table because of the ciggy burns on the right, but it's good and smooth and sturdy right now for the most part. Hmmm. I'd wanted to order the decals I love so much and put them on this machine, but the finish is still so good it would be a shame to disturb it. I could stain the table top a contrasty enough color and put the decals on the table then clear over them though....

nanna-up-north - LOL! Even though DH knows I'm not looking anymore, when I emailed him the ad, he just emailed back and said "let me know where to meet you with the truck after work." I am going to be disciplined today and get some other work done, then try to go over him tomorrow to see what else he needs. I'm considering ordering the needlebar and hook from a shop in the US just to have them, since my supplier here doesn't have them. Is that packratting?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Thinking about it, the manual says that the machine can take up to a #23 needle. I had only #25 with me
Duh! I had a 125/20 needle with me. Perfectly fine for this machine. I have the emails in to my supplier for parts and to the acquaintance though, so we'll see what comes of that.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

The 241 has some kind of limited stitch length arrangement. There is a little screw to stop it from turning to a longer stitch. I haven't experimented with the little screw. I have made smaller stitches but it doesn't go any bigger than about 8 to an inch. It's industrial - the factories wanted to keep the stitch lengths set and NOBODY touches it... It might make a good free motion machine since it is so big. I love the feel of that machine. It is just so gutsy. Yes the motor does sound like a power saw when it goes on. The machine itself is very quiet and smooth and fast - yet the clutch is set so it will go at a nice speed.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Duh! I had a 125/20 needle with me. Perfectly fine for this machine. I have the emails in to my supplier for parts and to the acquaintance though, so we'll see what comes of that.
I bet it would have taken the 25 needle. Not much difference between the 25s and a 2x4 though...
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM

I have a box of 71x1 needles in the drawer of my machine. Along with other bigger needles.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 PM

So I had a lady come bring me a machine to tune up today and so I was in the shop anyway.... Yes, the 31-15 is running.

It's a little noisier than I think it should be and it seems like there's more space between the hook and the shuttle carrier, but I don't know if that's normal or not. It's close to 1/8" and if I had to guess, I'd say there's wear on the face of the one finger of the carrier.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469233[/ATTACH]

It makes a "click" sound every time it oscillates, and if you put your finger on the bobbin case you can change the sound of it and feel the hook moving. It strikes me this isn't right since that could have a detrimental effect on timing??

Does anyone else who has a 31-15 see this gap too?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469234[/ATTACH]

I set the needlebar - it was about 3/8" low!! How does that even happen? I get how a needlebar gets pushed up, but how do they get pushed down?

It made its first stitches in 30 years today. I balanced tensions and it's got a nearly perfect stitch so far. I need a belt to test it fully.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469235[/ATTACH]

I have a 3/16" treadle belt for regular treadles, and that's what the original belt this machine came with seems to be, but the industrial machines are supposed to take 5/16". I'm torn, the treadle belt I have here is spoken for (in mid April and I have an order going in on Monday that should be here before then) and if I cut it, I'm wasting about 34" of it. I just don't know if I can use any of the other treadle belt options - vegan cord, aquarium tubing, urethane tube, spring metal cord - with the motor. 1/4HP seems more powerful than what I'm going to give any of my treadles.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The 241 has some kind of limited stitch length arrangement. There is a little screw to stop it from turning to a longer stitch. I haven't experimented with the little screw. I have made smaller stitches but it doesn't go any bigger than about 8 to an inch. It's industrial - the factories wanted to keep the stitch lengths set and NOBODY touches it... It might make a good free motion machine since it is so big. I love the feel of that machine. It is just so gutsy. Yes the motor does sound like a power saw when it goes on. The machine itself is very quiet and smooth and fast - yet the clutch is set so it will go at a nice speed.
It seems weird that they'd limit it that way. It limits its attractiveness to people. I've been looking at this machine thinking too that it would be a great FM machine.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I bet it would have taken the 25 needle. Not much difference between the 25s and a 2x4 though...
Probably, the shank size doesn't change, right? I prefer not to sew with 2x4s. They leave way too many splinters in my fabric. As it is a 125/20 sure seems to bludgeon the fabric into submission!

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I have a box of 71x1 needles in the drawer of my machine. Along with other bigger needles.
What is a 71x1 needle used for? These ones take a 16x73 or a 16x257 or a 16x87 depending on who you talk to. The first and last are in the manual, the middle one is what Sewing parts Online lists and what I used. I also found some "unknown" round shank Singer needles in Size 18 and 19 that have a smaller scarf but seem to work in the machine too. They bludgeon the fabric slightly less.
Attached Thumbnails img_1713.jpg   img_1716.jpg   img_1720.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

It seems weird that they'd limit it that way. It limits its attractiveness to people. I've been looking at this machine thinking too that it would be a great FM machine.
In a factory wanting consistency & quality control? - nope not weird just prudent and not very versatile. I'm wondering if there is a way to change that setting. The arm is certainly long enough to do quite a bit. Mine takes long shank attachments. I found a real old long shank buttonholer in my junk today. I'm thinking it might go on there - wouldn't that be a hoot?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM

I have a 31-20 that Steve gifted me in the garage, but I don't think I can be of much help to any of the questions. I think the hook/bobbin assembly is different on my machine and I've not even spent more than 10 mins with it. Life has sort of gotten in the way and I've had a full plate the last few months. But, if need be I can try to see if it has the same issues or at least take a few pics to work off of, if it will help.