A Relapse of SMAD - A saga

Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the great story! I might have to venture into the industrial world. Miriam I love the idea of using it for free motion quilting. I have been wanting a long arm but can't do the price....sigh...but this might be a reasonable alternative, lol. Is it impolite to ask What this machine cost? I have not even a remote clue and I am not close enough to be competing, lol! I know machine costs differ by location but? Or maybe Someone on this thread can tell me what would be a normal cost for these models?
your machine btw is gorgeous! I feel my smad kicking in! Lol.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
In a factory wanting consistency & quality control? - nope not weird just prudent and not very versatile. I'm wondering if there is a way to change that setting. The arm is certainly long enough to do quite a bit. Mine takes long shank attachments. I found a real old long shank buttonholer in my junk today. I'm thinking it might go on there - wouldn't that be a hoot?
Ha! No, I was thinking that from a sale point of view, to say that the machine has been limited by the manufacturer to only do 8 - 20 spi for instance, limits its salability more than saying we can lock it to x spi, or you can...

I guess the length of the hole in the feed dog slots will make a difference too.

Holy cow, if you try that buttonholer lean WAYYY back!

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I have a 31-20 that Steve gifted me in the garage, but I don't think I can be of much help to any of the questions. I think the hook/bobbin assembly is different on my machine and I've not even spent more than 10 mins with it. Life has sort of gotten in the way and I've had a full plate the last few months. But, if need be I can try to see if it has the same issues or at least take a few pics to work off of, if it will help.
I think if I remember, I read that the bobbin is bigger, which would make the rest of it different, you're right. The only thing I guess I could ask here is if you have that sort of play or if the hook and the shuttle carrier are fairly tight together. I'm going to check some of the other oscillating hooks around here today when I get home from looking for a belt too.

However, if you're crazy busy, don't worry about it. I'm thinking of ordering the hook and the carrier anyway, for the price of it, it's good insurance.

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Thanks for the great story! I might have to venture into the industrial world. Miriam I love the idea of using it for free motion quilting. I have been wanting a long arm but can't do the price....sigh...but this might be a reasonable alternative, lol. Is it impolite to ask What this machine cost? I have not even a remote clue and I am not close enough to be competing, lol! I know machine costs differ by location but? Or maybe Someone on this thread can tell me what would be a normal cost for these models?
your machine btw is gorgeous! I feel my smad kicking in! Lol.
I think that you'd find that a well serviced, ready to sew vintage industrial, like this one would usually sell around $500 - $650, possibly more here in central Alberta. That's based on what I hear people telling me their budgets are, and what I see them listed for in the buy and sell. It seems to jive with what I've seen in a quick look on eBay too. I've seen ads for $850 to $1000, but I didn't track them because I didn't know anyone with that budget. I have a waiting list as long as my arm for people I know who've asked me to keep an eye out for industrials for them.

This machine cost me under $100 because it wouldn't stitch and was seized when I got there. The asking price had been $100, then I traded her a belt for some amount off.

That said, I put probably close to 4 hours into it cleaning, adjusting, etc, and it's not completely finished. I still want to see what I can do about looking at the motor and servicing it, but it's a different motor than I'm used to, so I have to do some reading.

I will order about $70 worth of parts for it, some because I'd like to change them, some because they should be changed and some are no longer carried by my supplier, so I want to have them here in case they're needed down the road- shuttle carrier, hook and needlebar.

So what would this machine be worth in 2 weeks when I have the parts and have finished the work? I'm not sure at this point.

I have seen a couple of people put these machines onto a short arm frame. Make sure it's a beefy frame and carriage though, they weigh in over 60lbs as a guess, and then you have to figure out what to use for a motor. To put that in perspective, my LA machine is 41lbs on the carriage and the carriage is aluminum and extremely streamlined. The other thing about that is that you would find yourself pushing and pulling 60+ lbs, plus the carriage and the motor around to do your quilting designs. The carriage would have to be very well built to help absorb some of that wear and tear on your joints and muscles, but it can be done.

He is lovely isn't he? I can't seem to stop touching him whenever I go into the room for something.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 AM

I've contemplated turning my 31-20 into a longarm set up but I'd have to have a plate fabricated to put a motor onto the machine. I recently sold my frame, which would have been able to handle the weight because of the need of the extra bedroom for the last 3 months and possibly in the future.

I don't know how hard it would be to figure out some kind of mounting plate or bracket for a motor, but I've not really had the mind power or energy to go much further with it.

I have guests coming today and it's dark and stormy, but I'll try to check the clearance space and hook assembly tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 AM

The 31-15 has a motor boss, I would have thought the 31-20 would too.
Oh! I guess you meant a bracket! Duh! Sorry, I'm slow today.

I wonder what sort of motor is/was available to put on there. That would be a determining factor, but I bet it wouldn't be hard.

Take your time. This machine sat for 30 years like this, it can manage a few more days.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The 31-15 has a motor boss, I would have thought the 31-20 would too.
Oh! I guess you meant a bracket! Duh! Sorry, I'm slow today.

I wonder what sort of motor is/was available to put on there. That would be a determining factor, but I bet it wouldn't be hard.

Take your time. This machine sat for 30 years like this, it can manage a few more days.
1.3 or 1.5 amp might work.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM

ROTFL! OK, "Mary Poppins," Ya be'er get that machine spit spot!
~ Cindy
Old 03-29-2014, 04:26 PM

Yes, I'd think any new or vintage, working motor in that range would do a nice job. Of course, finding a darning foot that would allow good movement would be very important. I think there are some Juki feet that are supposed to work on these machines and if I remember right, there's a Juki hopping foot and walking foot that I had researched before I had to put this on the back burner.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Long shank attachments work on my 241. I don't think I have a long shank hopping foot though.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Long shank attachments work on my 241. I don't think I have a long shank hopping foot though.
Yes, I think the Juki ones would work for yours too. But, they're super pricey. I think the darning foot is like $80 alone.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM

Yes, I'd think any new or vintage, working motor in that range would do a nice job. Of course, finding a darning foot that would allow good movement would be very important. I think there are some Juki feet that are supposed to work on these machines and if I remember right, there's a Juki hopping foot and walking foot that I had researched before I had to put this on the back burner.
Very possible. They're nice smooth running machines when properly cared for, so a "smaller" motor might do just fine. I got a belt for it today, and I think it's a little too long, as soon as I fire the machine up, it throws the belt. I will wait til tomorrow to try it again, because my focus is gone.

Yes, I think the Juki ones would work for yours too. But, they're super pricey. I think the darning foot is like $80 alone.
The juki foot I used on my TL98Q was this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Juki-1-4-Fre...-/321364602741 part #JTLF13 A5133E98BBO I might be able to get them wholesale but it's likely pretty much the same price as the ebay auction.

Now if you wanted this one - ruler friendly - http://www.ebay.com/itm/RULER-FOOT-F...-/321111496062 - I got nothin