Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Retrofitting Red-eye to Treadle

  1. #1
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,383
    Blog Entries
    1

    Retrofitting Red-eye to Treadle

    Last summer, I found a Red-Eye for $45. Had been converted to electric. The cabinet was in really bad shape.

    Since then I've been looking for a treadle & table. Well, I found the treadle. A neighbor had been using the BASE of her grandmother's treadle machine as the base of their round kitchen table-- for about 30 years. She was GIVING IT AWAY. I got it for free. Sorry. I got carried away there for a moment.

    The treadle appears to work quite well. But it has no top.

    I did some searching through here, but didn't find any info about retrofitting a vintage/antique back to treadle.... including making a new "table" to place between the base and the machine.

    Any pointers?

    Many thanks... This is my first foray into vintage machine territory...
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    jillaine
    Bust Your Stash! (ongoing and open)

  2. #2
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,383
    Blog Entries
    1
    Another view
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    jillaine
    Bust Your Stash! (ongoing and open)

  3. #3
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,372
    I believe the motor just bolts on the back, remove this put a new belt on her and she is ready to go.

  4. #4
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Give it a "motorectomy" --- just unbolt the motor. If there is no top to the treadle irons, just buy a good thick piece of wood, have someone router out the right shape for the machine, bolt the wood to the irons, and sit the machine down in. Should work. That's exactly what DH and I are in the process of doing for one of my old machines that didn't have cabinet or irons.

    Be sure you put up pics. We like to see these resurrections!!

  5. #5
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    4,965
    jillaine,
    Go look at www.treadleon.net, look in the wood shop section. There's instructions on how to make a new top and how to figure out where the holes for the treadle belt need to go.
    Sharon W.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    western NC
    Posts
    485
    That is one gorgeous red eye! I second the treadleon site. They have tons of information.

    Pat

  7. #7
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,383
    Blog Entries
    1
    TreadleOn is great; also signed up for the listserv. I've forwarded the instructions for making the top to my husband. He needs a project! :-) I plan on following Billy's amazing instructions for taking this RedEye apart, cleaning and putting her back together again. But that may not happen until the spring, as I have to do it outside (all those chemicals...) and now it's too cold.

    This RedEye's biggest problems, I think, are rust. I didn't see any reference to dealing with rust in Billy's tutorial; what do you suggest?

    Thanks everyone. I feel I've joined a new club!

    -- Jillaine
    jillaine
    Bust Your Stash! (ongoing and open)

  8. #8
    Senior Member emmah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Groton, NY
    Posts
    413
    On the rust, most of the folks on the vintage threads use a product called evaporust. I haven't tried it yet. One caution on cleaning the outside of the machine head. I used the cleaner Billy suggested, and guess I scrubbed too hard, took off the coating over the decals that makes then look gold. Others suggest using machine oil or something else. Read up on the process and proceed slowly!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.