Rewire 15-91

Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Rewire 15-91

I have my grandmothers 15-91 that needs to be rewired. Does anyone here know how much it should cost to do this? I love this machine.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

What needs to be rewired on it? The plug that goes into the socket? Where you plug it into the machine? The foot pedal? Motor? Light? That will make a difference for sure if you actually need a rewire or can just purchase replacements or can do it simply yourself.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM

I think the whole thing I think. The casings on the wires that go into the machine are falling apart. The black part of the wiring looks ok its the two little ones inside the black casing that are chipped and falling apart. I'm afraid to use the machine.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Can you post a picture of where it goes into the machine? If its a plug you should be able to just buy a new set of wires and reattach to the original foot control and the plug that goes into the machine. That's what I've done anyways. The wires going into the motor and the light looked fine on mine though.

This blog post is full of info and pictures, and there are other posts on the blog that might be helpful too. You can decide if it's sometng you even need to do based on the pictures, then decide if you want to try yourself or give it to someone else to do for you.

I also have my grandmothers 15-91 and love it. It makes it extra special.

Last edited by misskira; 07-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Sorry I don't have a way to post a picture. In order to see the bad wiring I have to turn the machine on its side so i can look underneath of it. The bad wiring is on the underside of where the three pronged plug sticks out of the actual machine. I think it's the only place on the machine that you can see the two wires that don't have the outer black casing on it. Also it looks like one wire is/was white and the other is black if that helps. Basically I think that the wiring needs to be replaced all the way to the motor and everywhere else for safety and I want to know how much money am I looking at? PS I dont have the tools or skill to replace it myself.

Last edited by Quilt Novice; 07-12-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

QB member, Rain Noe has a neat blog and he has posted good instructions how to rewire one of those machines. Here's a link: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
I have my grandmothers 15-91 that needs to be rewired. Does anyone here know how much it should cost to do this? I love this machine.
About 1-2 hours of very basic electrical work. For a professional I would think $50-$100 would cover it if the only needed repairs are bad wires, which is very likely.

Jon
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM

It won't take long to do it yourself if you follow Rain Noe's instructions. The only downside is the cost of materials and parts, but it's about the same as paying someone to do it. I did my 201 without any previous experience with soldering or electrical work, and it was honestly one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
QB member, Rain Noe has a neat blog and he has posted good instructions how to rewire one of those machines. Here's a link: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring
Lol, that's the link I. Rant to post as well. Sorry I forgot it in my previous post.