Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rewiring Singer 301 pedal - need sheaths?

Rewiring Singer 301 pedal - need sheaths?

Hi Everyone,

I have an old Bakelite foot pedal for my Singer 301 that I ordered a new cord for. When I went to install the new cord, I stopped and thought I better look up the directions just in case I missed something - my first time at this.

I found directions on Jenny's Sew-Classic site. My old cord doesn't appear to have the sheaths around the cords where it splits into two - see example here:

http://s522.photobucket.com/user/Sew...tep_4.jpg.html

In fact, there isn't much difference in circumference between my old and the new wires and if my old wires even have a sheath on them, it doesn't look like it - see attached pic.

What should I do? I understand the sheath is there to protect against overheating, but if I don't appear to have the sheaths to put onto my new cord...

Thanks for your assistance,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is great power in a caring touch, a loving smile, a kindhearted word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of unselfishness. Each of these has the potential to turn a life around.

It'd be easy enough to find something that'd do the job. I would make something as a substitute
    Last edited by manicmike; 10-25-2013 at 02:25 AM.
    My Singers: Singer 12 MOP (1885), 2xImproved Family (1886, 1888), VS2 Roses and Daisies (1891), 29k58, 96k41 (1949), 201p (1958) 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 319K (1960), 320k2(1959), 411g
    Others: Bernina Record 530-2 (1958), Bernina 642-1 (1960)
    http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

I would ask Jenny at Sew-Classic.

You should be able to pick up some shrink wrap tubing at your local hardware store. They come in various sizes/lengths (or you can cut to needed length). Slip the tubing over your split wire and heat it up with a hair dryer. Will mold to the wire underneath.

The heat protectors are there on the wires, I can see them in your pic. They are not overly large but they are there. Just gently remove them and work them back over the new cord.

I have several Singer foot controllers that do not have the heat sheaths and so far they haven't melted the wire. Modern electric cord insulation isn't made from the same material as the old stuff was either so it may not be as sensitive to heat.

Joe

There are different sized ones available at your local hardware store in the electrical section. You slip them on the end of the wire and crimp them down. I buy them by the box with several different sizes at Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    There are different sized ones available at your local hardware store in the electrical section. You slip them on the end of the wire and crimp them down. I buy them by the box with several different sizes at Home Depot.
    Hi Candace,

Several different sized what? Sheaths? Is that what they're called at the hardware store? Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated. ;-)

Karla
    There is great power in a caring touch, a loving smile, a kindhearted word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of unselfishness. Each of these has the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    The heat protectors are there on the wires, I can see them in your pic. They are not overly large but they are there. Just gently remove them and work them back over the new cord.

I have several Singer foot controllers that do not have the heat sheaths and so far they haven't melted the wire. Modern electric cord insulation isn't made from the same material as the old stuff was either so it may not be as sensitive to heat.

Joe
    Thanks for your reply, Joel. How do these heat protectors come off my wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
    I would ask Jenny at Sew-Classic.
    I did. She suggested reusing the sheath, but I can't figure out how it comes off if it's on my wires. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    You should be able to pick up some shrink wrap tubing at your local hardware store. They come in various sizes/lengths (or you can cut to needed length). Slip the tubing over your split wire and heat it up with a hair dryer. Will mold to the wire underneath.
    Thanks for the tip. Have heard it mentioned, but reliability was questioned, so waiting on this idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast