Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I need help rewiring a pedal to my old Necchi >

I need help rewiring a pedal to my old Necchi

I need help rewiring a pedal to my old Necchi

Old 08-04-2019, 02:08 AM

Default I need help rewiring a pedal to my old Necchi

Hi guys,
I inherited a Necchi Type 503 without a pedal, I’ve just bought a compatible pedal but I don’t know how to wire it correctly, can you please help me?
I know that A and B are the power, I can attach them to a power cord and the light switch on.
What should I wire to H1 and T on the pedal?
Thank you very much for your help!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615634[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615635[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615636[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails presa_con_scritte_resized.jpg   pedale_con_scritte_resized.jpg   necchi_resized.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 AM

Welcome from Texas! We have quite a few really good members on this board who have a lot of knowledge about the mechanics of sewing machines. Hopefully someone will come along & help you solve your problem.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM

Welcome, Dario.

I'm somewhat confused by what you are asking. From the way I'm reading it, it appears that you are trying to directly hard wire the machine to the prongs (A, B, C), foot control (H1, T) and electric outlet. Usually, there is what is called a lead cord that plugs into the machine at A, B, C, with two wires coming from it. One goes to the electric outlet and the other to the foot control. I have not seen a plug (lead cord) shaped like yours.

Two examples can be found at https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/le...g-machine.aspx
and https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/le...al-ydk32a.aspx Neither of these will work with your machine. They are just examples of the type of cord one needs. One has electric connectors that would screw on to the foot control, the other has two bare wires that would go to the foot control.

It appears that there was a 503FA that was made in Italy and then a 503 that was made in Taiwan. It appears yours was the one made in Taiwan. It also appears that yours could be made to treadle.

Did you get a manual with it?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-04-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 08-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Welcome, Dario.

I'm somewhat confused by what you are asking. From the way I'm reading it, it appears that you are trying to directly hard wire the machine to the prongs (A, B, C), foot control (H1, T) and electric outlet. Usually, there is what is called a lead cord that plugs into the machine at A, B, C, with two wires coming from it. One goes to the electric outlet and the other to the foot control. I have not seen a plug (lead cord) shaped like yours.
I have some experience with soldering and making audio cables and I would want to hardwire this, in the most safe way.
I am not sure this is possible in my case without the correct diagrams and that's why I am asking for any information.

I thought hardwiring the sewing machine, especially for vintage sewing machines without spare parts, was the normal way to go.

Thank you, I did not know my Necchi was from Taiwan. This is the manual I have.

What do you guys think about hardwiring it? Isn't it normal vor vintage machines?

Last edited by Dario; 08-04-2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-04-2019, 10:53 AM

I just checked various dealers and nobody has the original cord.
I will have to recreate the cord myself so any help is appreciated!
Thank you
Old 08-04-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dario View Post
I just checked various dealers and nobody has the original cord.
I will have to recreate the cord myself so any help is appreciated!
Thank you
too bad the dealers in Italy don't have the correct cord for your machine. Did you tell them the shape of the pins? The manual you have, doesn't look like the same cord as yours, either. Like I say I've never seen one like yours here in the USA. I have seen some strange ones.

I'm really not the one to really help as far as hard wiring. I think if I were to do it --- but I wouldn't --- I would probably try to use what is called a cord block. Many Japanese used it for their machines. Now that I think of it, my Alco that I bought new in 1972 used a cord block and was made in Taiwan. https://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Se...143-SCE143.htm The cord block is pre-wired so that it has one outlet for the light and the other for the motor. That would seem to indicate to me that the light could be wired to a plug, and the motor would be wired to plug. The foot control is wired to the opposite end from the electric plug, with cord plug near the middle.

There are some wiring diagrams at http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/resources.htm I don't know if that would help.

As far as it being made in Taiwan, I'm going by a pdf that can be found at https://freenecchisewingmachinefiles...model_list.pdf
or https://issuu.com/davidmannock/docs/necchi_model_list

Good luck. I am always pleased when these vintage machines are brought back, especially when they are machines that are inherited.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-04-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 08-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Thank you for all the precious resources!

I am continuing to check if other dealers have it.
If any Necchi expert reads this post and know the proper way to connect the cables please help.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:53 PM

It appears from the picture in the manual, that you should be able to take the end plate off fairly easily and see where the wires are hooked up . It should be similar to the Singer wiring. Also I'm thinking that it would be easier/safer to to take the wires off the back of the terminal posts and "graft" the light wire to a plug and the motor wires to a plug and then use a motor block. Of course I don't know anything about Italian wiring.

I would think that somewhere in Italy that there would be an "old sewing machine guy" who has repaired and serviced old machines and has some old bits and bobs that could be used. Actually, here in the US, dealers are more interested in selling new machines than they are keeping these old ones running.

just a thought, there should be more Necchi 'experts' in Italy than there are in the US/Canada

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.