Rocketeer questions

Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Default Rocketeer questions

Besides the cool styling, what is unique or charming about the Rocketeer?
any idea of a good price for one that works, looks good minus a couple nicks in the paint, and missing a couple thread holders. 70 bucks? Inquiring minds wanna know. MidAtlantic region .
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM

zozee,

I really can't help you with the price as I've been lucky with the two I've got. But if there is parts missing, and obvious repairs needed I'd try to get the price down as far as I could.

The 500a or Rocketeer is a very sturdy and well laid out machine. Once you have it's operation down pat you really could get along just fine without any other machine. Well, unless you do a lot of FMQ'ing that is. They don't really do that well, or so I've read.
They are all metal inside except for the drive gear on the hand wheel. Short of a cosmic disaster that fiber gear should last till the end of the world with proper greasing.

They have most patterns you'd ever want built in and then there's some 20 odd other cams as well, maybe more.

Thread holders can be had, I think Sew-Classic has them, and I know my LSMG does.

As far as the paint goes, it's a used machine with a life full of history, for myself I wouldn't worry about it.

If you get this or another one be aware they do have one idiosyncrasy to watch for. If the cam controls and the ZZ is not used they tend to gum up. It can be a bear to clean them till they work again. Once cleaned use Tri-Flow oil and you're good to go. They are very mechanical and are oil hogs. But that's a good thing really.

Joe
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM

in my opinion, the cool styling is the only neat thing about the machine, otherwise I'd take a 401 over it any day. Hmm, that may not sound quite right - meaning it's got a lot of the neat things the 401 has as far as stiching and cams and such. The way the top opens up is a bit of a pain, but you can put a thread holder on the top and sew with it closed too.

I really love the look of the machine, so the unique style put it on my "must have" list.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM

There are some parts on the machine that are easy to sell and are worth a decent amount. One is the vertical hinged door to the needle bar area due to the fact that the small hinges on the door have broken off on many machines. The whole top lid can also be sold, as well as the bottom cover (drip pan).

That being said, if those items are in ok shape, then there isn't much risk in buying one at a reasonable price.

Oh, as far as advantages to the Rocketeer -- it is a slant needle machine, which gives me a greater visibility in the needle area.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM

I was lucky enough to find a Rocketeer in a custom table for only $40 on Craigslist on Long Island. I got 19 cams with it and it is one of the best running machines I presently own!!