Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Rust and Pitting on Nickel Plating >

Rust and Pitting on Nickel Plating

Rust and Pitting on Nickel Plating

Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Rust and Pitting on Nickel Plating

I've been struggling with my rusty 'new' sewing machines. I had thought the shiny parts were chrome plated and read on car restoration forums to use wadded up aluminum foil very lightly with water and rub until it formed a paste (which it actually did fairly quickly). They said that since the aluminum was a softer metal, it wouldn't scratch chrome and that there was an electrolytic reaction that bonded the aluminum to the rust and would break down the rust, then make a fine paste that would polish the metal. It actually does take off much of the rust, but when I looked at the photo below, I see a lot of fine scratches. And, the metal is still pitted. I tried polishing another piece with a dremel buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge after cleaning off the big surface rust, but that didn't seem to do anything to help the pitting either.

I understand now that the shiny finish is nickel on sewing machine parts, not chrome, so I wonder whether the foil was a very bad idea - or whether my pieces are just too rusted to fix.

Someone recommended just using very fine metal sandpaper (1500 to 2000) and polishing what was there as best I can. I've only found 1200 and I'm hesitant to do anything that will do more damage.

Help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457295[/ATTACH]Before and after the aluminum foil - see lots of scratches. (I only tried this on what I thought was chrome, not on any painted parts.)
Attached Thumbnails free-sewing-machine-front-plate.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Champainer,

I use Evapo-Rust which I get from a local auto parts store and remove the rust first. Then I polish the part with chrome polish or Mothers Mag and chrome polish. There are a couple other guys on here that can really make the plated parts shine so I'm sure they'll add their comments too.

But, do get the rust off first. That makes the polishing job easier.

Joe
Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks! I haven't found Evapo-Rust locally, so just ordered some.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 PM

If the plating is pitted and even if the rust is removed the pitting will be there brcause it is deep in the metal. You can sand it smooth at the exspense of the remaining plating or you can go to a shop and have it replated.. I suggest after the rust is removed shine it up the best you can leave it alone.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I suggest after the rust is removed shine it up the best you can leave it alone.
That's what I do.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 PM

That's a tough one. You have a lot of plating completely gone. I have a set of buffing wheels and compounds and could make it shiny but it would be mostly (if not completely) polished steel by the time I was done. Check out Caswellplating.com. I bought my buffing supplies from them and am very pleased with their service. They also offer a lot of free polishing advice on their site.
Rodney
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 PM

soak it in vinegar to remove the rust.

Or first create a solution of half ammonia and half vinegar. Dip the nickel plated steel object wholly into the solution for half an hour. Then, remove the object and wipe dry. Application of a chrome polish will help restore shine.

or:
. Scrub off the rust with a steel wool pad or a kitchen scrubbing pad. Surface rust comes off easily.

. Make a paste of two parts table salt and one part lime juice in a bowl. Apply the paste to the steel with a paper towel.

. Leave the paste on the rust for two to three hours "Non Toxic House Cleaning" an article suggested by Earth Easy in eartheasy.com.

. Dampen a paper towel and wipe away the paste and the rust. Dry the area with a paper towel.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM

I have been working on shining up the parts on my new machine. What's working for me is the dremel and the little brushes you can buy. I know it sounds scary, but start with a small area, underneath to build confidence, lol.

I start with the "silver wheel" brush, make sure you are using the edge and are always moving in the same direction (learned that the hard way). I then use the "gold" brush, last the nylon (black) one. Next, I take some aluminum polishing compound and work my way from corse to fine.

I wouldn't do this on plated areas, only all metal parts that are rusty and pitted. This method will remove plating, which of course will leave you with an exposed surface. I'll post some pics when I'm done so you can see how it works. It won't remove all the pits and scratches (unless you start with a coarser brush), but it will give you a nice polish and shine!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:09 PM

Thanks - I'll look forward to seeing what you accomplish with the dremel. I have some brushes but I was afraid to use them.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Banned

Folks here have mostly covered what I would say... Evaporust, 0000 steel wool, wadding cloth, dremel.