rust removal

Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Default rust removal

I have started taking Dora, my 128k apart for her clean up and am unsure what to do about the rust she has in and around her feed dogs. I've read through some posts but am still scratching my head so can someone advise please? I can't see how I can take the feed dogs off either...am I daft?
Attached Thumbnails img_5683-custom-.jpg   img_5684-custom-.jpg   img_5685-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 10-18-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
I have started taking Dora, my 128k apart for her clean up and am unsure what to do about the rust she has in and around her feed dogs. I've read through some posts but am still scratching my head so can someone advise please? I can't see how I can take the feed dogs off either...am I daft?
Good heavens! I've never seen anything like that in an otherwise nice machine. Looks like someone's been dripping saline on that spot!

You can get rust remover, but removal of the feed dogs is imperative. Are they rusted on? I'd wiggle them off with pliers after removing the screw.

The manual (http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/127_128.pdf) tells you how to do it (page 16).
Old 10-19-2013, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the advice and manual...will definately come in handy. This machine is in need of a much more concise clean up than my others have needed so am looking forward to learning heaps. She's obviously not been well looked after and to my horror, on collection when I got her home I found that a goodly amount of her lovely decals were actually covered (or stuck back on ) with sticky tape that was on the verge of falling off which has now subsequently and unceremoniously done. So, her condition is not as I had hoped but I'm a sucker for an ugly puppy and do I love her! Have got my eye on another treadle on ebay so need to get Dora on the go to justify another purchase!!!!!!!! sigh....when does this ever end?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

What a shame to allow that beautiful machine to get in that condition. People have no idea..I know you will take good care of her. I would try to use liquid wrench to free up the moving parts and a good rust remover. Talk with your repairman. They often have good ideas. My repairman gave me good help to clean up a 1914 Singer I found in Kentucky.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Well, I've found the screw for the feed dogs but she aint budging for love or money so have sprayed a smidge of WD40 on it and will leave it till tonight to have another go. I lost out onn the bidding for the treadle I had my eye on so Dora now has my complete attention!