Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Second Mystery (to me) machine >

Second Mystery (to me) machine

Second Mystery (to me) machine

Old 03-20-2015, 08:37 AM

Default Second Mystery (to me) machine

This is the second of two older machines I saw at a Thrift Store last week. Can someone tell me what it is, and if it would be worth having?

I have a Bernina 230 that is my go-to sewing machine, and a pristine Pfaff 130 I will be using again once the living room re-construction is finished. I have a 15-91 that sews, but functions as an occasional/display table right now. My sewing room is small, 12x12, and I don't like "clutter," but I do love old, working, beautiful machines.

The two mystery machines, with their cabinets, are priced a $59 and $69.
Attached Thumbnails 2-front.jpg   2-faceplate.jpg   2-back-view.jpg   2-wheel.jpg   2-cabinet.jpg  

Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 AM

that one is the 99's big sister, the 66
Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Yes, a 66 and in good condition. Make sure you remove the pin rag and check for pin rash.

I have the exact same machine, same filigree decals, same cabinet. I started taking it apart and haven't touched it for weeks. Good reminder to get going on it.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM

As much as I like the old 66s you're not going to gain anything your other machines aren't already doing as well or better. If you bought it, it would simply be because you love it.
Rodney
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 AM

I agree with Rodney. You have two excellent zig-zag machines and I've become an advocate of having a dedicated straight stitch machine, as they do it better than zig-zaggers. The -91 is an excellent sewer and has (in my opinion) the advantage of a vertical bobbin, something I'd trade for the convenience of a drop-in any day.

But a vintage machine in good shape is hard to resist. And you can always stack your stuff on top of a sewing cabinet.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 AM

I have not bought these; I saw them at a Thrift Store last week and took pictures, hoping to learn what they were.

Is either the bigger 66, or the smaller 99, a straight stitch only? I believe my 15-91 is a straight stitch only, but it does have a "reverse" feature.

We've gotten 3 inches of snow so far today, and it' still coming down. I had played with the idea of "visiting" these two machines again this afternoon, but I'm not driving 50 miles, one way, just for "fun."

I'm learning as I go here, and I truly appreciate all the info you good people are sharing.

"KenmoreRulesAll" - Go stand in the corner. LOL I would never "stack stuff" on top of a lovely sewing cabinet. I cringe at disorder. Oh the sacrilege! I do occasionally put a vintage embroidered or crocheted cloth on the Singer Deco cabinet (which houses the Pfaff 130 inside) and I have been known to put a seasonal item on it - temporarily.

The last time I used the Deco cabinet top was to hold a 1950s tea set last year. A friend and I were having a BBC Comedy Fest (Last of the Summer Wine) in the Ladies' Parlor, aka sewing room, and I wanted to serve "tea and biscuits."

Last edited by Caroline94535; 03-20-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM

lol How about I sit in the corner on top of a sewing cabinet?

To be honest, I prefer a straight stitch machine with reverse and a length regulator with numbered increments. The 66 you're seeing in the thrift store has a length screw which makes it more difficult to return to a former length setting, for example. Later models of the 66 do have a numbered lever with reverse. (There are attachments you can add to an older machine to remedy this.) If you need reverse for the type of sewing you do, this one's not going to be able to perform, although many sewers say that reverse isn't necessary and many tailors and dressmakers say that reverse is actually detrimental and should never be used.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
lol How about I sit in the corner on top of a sewing cabinet?
Only if you take, and post, a photo.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
Only if you take, and post, a photo.
I could get up on top of a cabinet and sing and dance, then accidentally slip on a ring and disappear!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
The 66 you're seeing in the thrift store has a length screw which makes it more difficult to return to a former length setting, for example. Later models of the 66 do have a numbered lever with reverse. (There are attachments you can add to an older machine to remedy this.)

KRA, can you elaborate? Post a picture, a link? TIA.