Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Sewing implements-what are these? >
  • Sewing implements-what are these?

• Sewing implements-what are these?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by path49
    Christy, The middle picture is a Kenmore needle threader...they came with all new Kenmores in the attachment/feet box. And since they're so little, I'm betting the cams go to a zigzag/decorative stitch attachment.
    So, the cams go to a separate attachment piece like a Singer buttonholer or something like that instead of going into a machine? Interesting.

Tammi, Any hints on how to use this needle threader? I definitely could use it!
    Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 PM

I think the cams are for a machine, not an attachment. I've seen them before here on the QB, but I couldn't tell you where.

This is from memory, I'll have to go look for the threaders later in the week. I'm about to hit the sack before an early morning flight to Montreal, so I can't snap photos at the moment. I have an instruction sheet with one of mine too. Hopefully this thread is still going and I'll pop back in with the pic when I get back on Thursday.

Put the threader on the -back- of the needle with the hook part going through to the front of the needle with the hook curling up. When you thread, hook the thread from right to left under the uh... protrusion, then over that hook and then pull the threader away. It will pull the thread through.

I find it very similar to the threader that's built onto the Pfaff I have (only it threads in reverse - right to left and hook above rather than left to right and below on the Pfaff) but why I like it better than a built in - the hook seems to be less likely to get bent and become useless.

I think it only works on full sized machines, I know it was too tall for the FW.
    Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Tammi, I will try and remind you when you get back. I'm not following this well and it would really come in handy. I also have a Pfaff and don't know how to work the threader there either.
    Old 05-25-2014, 02:37 AM

I think that the piece with the magnet on it may have come off of a can opener.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
    I think that the piece with the magnet on it may have come off of a can opener.

CD in Oklahoma
    Ahaha! Funny! I think you are right! I end up with the weirdest things coming home with sewing machine parts. Out of context, sometimes it's hard to figure out what to keep and what not to. With the same stuff I got two small plastic tubs duct taped closed and together. One has foot controllers and lamps for sewing machines, the other weird motors for bathroom fans and switches and such.
    Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    I'll pop back in with the pic when I get back on Thursday.
    Ha! Good thing I didn't specify which Thursday!

Put the threader on the -back- of the needle with the hook part going through to the front of the needle with the hook curling up. When you thread, hook the thread from right to left under the uh... protrusion, then over that hook and then pull the threader away. It will pull the thread through.
    OK, my kenmore one and the "aftermarket" one are a little different, but work on the same principle.

First, here's the instruction page for the Kenmore threader:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]477977[/ATTACH]

Next, the Kenmore threader in action:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]477978[/ATTACH]

This is the aftermarket one, it looks a little bit different, but works the same way. This is it unthreaded:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]477979[/ATTACH]

The hook comes through from the back of the needle, grabs the thread, then yanks it back through.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477982[/ATTACH]

I find it very similar to the threader that's built onto the Pfaff I have (only it threads in reverse - right to left and hook above rather than left to right and below on the Pfaff) but why I like it better than a built in - the hook seems to be less likely to get bent and become useless.
    This is the Pfaff I have. Pretty much the same system but "automatic" except the thread goes left to right, rather than right to left.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477983[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477984[/ATTACH]
    I think it only works on full sized machines, I know it was too tall for the FW.
    It's possible that this aftermarket one would work on the FW. I'll try the next time I get a chance. Anything to stop having to rest my head on the pillar to see where I'm threading.
    Attached Thumbnails threaderinstr.jpg   img_2138.jpg   img_2140.jpg   img_2142.jpg   img_2143.jpg  

img_2147.jpg   img_2148.jpg  
    Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 AM

Yay! Thank you! Geez I feel like such an idiot, when I see the pictures it's all so obvious! I need to find where I put it now and give it a try!

The Pfaff one..I think was not going through the needle's eye. I have to pull out the Pfaff and check that. I want to play with the Pfaff again anyway so it's all good!
    Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM
    Banned

I just picked up this old threader.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]478007[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails threader.jpg  
    Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz
    Thank you so much for posting that question with photos. I have a really long tool 12 inches like the middle one with the same kind of a hinge thingy on it only much smaller and didn't have a clue. Now I know.

I have that tool you are talking about sunflower, it is a tool for turning fabric tubes to the right side. You just put it into the tube and catch the hook to an edge of the top end and carefully pull the tool down. It is pretty cool. I have the fast turn tool now. It have a little metal tube that you put the long hook though and makes it a little easier to turn. But, it works the same way as yours.
    Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    I just picked up this old threader.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]478007[/ATTACH]
    Thank you! I have one of those in the hoard somewhere. I thought it was a broken part of something but I am pretty sure it looked just like that! Wow. It's a good thing i don't throw stuff away. How old do you think that type is Steve? I always like to keep tools with age appropriate machines.