Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing machine model numbers

Power Poster

Sewing machine model numbers

Is there any rhyme, reason, or logic to how sewing machine models are named/numbered?

Does anyone know why Bernina would use duplicate numbers (as 820, and 830, for examples) for their machine models? It seems very confusing to me.

I know that with the Pfaff series 1471 -1473 - 1475 - the higher numbered ones have more features than the lower numbered ones.

However, on the Singer 401, 403, 404 series - the 401 is the "fancy" one and the 401 is a plain Jane straight stitching machine.

Singer did that with the 327, 328, and 329 too. The 329 is the straight stitch machine. I looked at a 329 in a basement yesterday, but didn’t buy it, even though I don’t have one......

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

I think the logic was only apparent to the manufacturers. I don't try to make sense of it anymore. The 404 was a straight stitcher. To add to the confusion there are also 400 series machines that aren't slant shank that were made around the same time.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    I bought a Singer 329 today. Yup a straight stitch machine. It is light weight and sews just fine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I bought a Singer 329 today. Yup a straight stitch machine. It is light weight and sews just fine.
    I have to agree. I serviced one and kind of liked it. I’ve got a couple of the 327s and 328s, and I think that I like the 329 best. I might have bought the one in the basement yesterday, but the conversation that lead up to “How much do you want for it?” and “Make me an offer.” told me that I couldn’t afford it.....

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    Singer did that with the 327, 328, and 329 too. The 329 is the straight stitch machine. I looked at a 329 in a basement yesterday, but didn’t buy it, even though I don’t have one......

CD in Oklahoma

A 327 was the first machine I ever serviced for someone else. Guy told me it just stopped for no reason. I cleaned enough lint out from under that machine to stuff a pillow. The feed dogs were so packed they were a smooth surface, I had to take a stiff wire brush to them. He had no idea he was supposed to clean it out.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    A 327 was the first machine I ever serviced for someone else. Guy told me it just stopped for no reason. I cleaned enough lint out from under that machine to stuff a pillow. The feed dogs were so packed they were a smooth surface, I had to take a stiff wire brush to them. He had no idea he was supposed to clean it out. Cari
    He must have been sewing on the one I just got...

The bottom works are similar to the 66 or 99 machines
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

My sentiments exactly. I had the old 820, not computerized. Now I have the 820 computerized. I did not mean to get the same model #. It's just the model I chose. Now I refer to them as the OLD 820 and the NEW 820.