Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant? >

Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant?

Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM

just so you know, Triflow is a brand name, They make / market a full range of oils, There main target is motorcycles, ATV/s dirt bikes.
The tri flow talked about here is commonly found at a bicycle store. label reads tri flow superior lubricant. it's a very light oil / free flowing oil. not a grease
Old 12-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
just so you know, Triflow is a brand name, They make / market a full range of oils, There main target is motorcycles, ATV/s dirt bikes.
The tri flow talked about here is commonly found at a bicycle store. label reads tri flow superior lubricant. it's a very light oil / free flowing oil. not a grease
They also make a greasy type lubricant - it's what you put on gears 'cause it sticks good.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:19 PM

BUT Triflow Grease (vs their oil that they call lubricant) does NOT go in the motor. Only Singer lube for that or if you're willing to try it Vaseline.

Triflow grease is synthetic and doesn't have a melting point. The purpose of the grease in the grease tubes of the motor is to lubricate the bushings at each end of the motor shaft. This depends on the grease that makes contact with the warm bushing to melt a little. Only Singer lube or Vaseline will do this. They both have the same melting point so should behave very similarly.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:28 PM

The manual that came with my 40's Kenmore says specifically to use petroleum jelly in the motor's grease pots. Thank goodness that stuff is still being made!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
BUT Triflow Grease (vs their oil that they call lubricant) does NOT go in the motor. Only Singer lube for that or if you're willing to try it Vaseline.

Triflow grease is synthetic and doesn't have a melting point. The purpose of the grease in the grease tubes of the motor is to lubricate the bushings at each end of the motor shaft. This depends on the grease that makes contact with the warm bushing to melt a little. Only Singer lube or Vaseline will do this. They both have the same melting point so should behave very similarly.
Oh my gosh Tammi. Never have I seen this so clearly spelled out before! I had no idea. I know I have read numerous times in different places on internet to use the Tri-flow grease in the motor. Thank you for this clarification.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 PM

My pleasure!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post

That is good to know, thank you ArchaicArcane! My sewing machine repair supply shopping is almost nearly done. I ended up getting the Triflow Superior Lubricant (aka Oil) but not the Triflow Grease. I'll see if I can get my hands on Singer lube and I'll use vaseline in the meantime.

Thank you everyone, this group is wonderful!!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Alawai View Post
That is good to know, thank you ArchaicArcane! My sewing machine repair supply shopping is almost nearly done. I ended up getting the Triflow Superior Lubricant (aka Oil) but not the Triflow Grease. I'll see if I can get my hands on Singer lube and I'll use vaseline in the meantime.

Thank you everyone, this group is wonderful!!
Alawai,
you might still want to pick up some Triflow Grease. You use it on the gears in your machine such as where the arm shaft connects to the feed fork shaft. That is still the best grease to use for gears. Then use the "lubricant" in the motor ports. That is what I interpreted from Tammi's message. Right Tammi?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Yes, exactly Cogito! Also if you use the TriFlow grease for the gears, the Singer lube will last a lot longer for your motors. It seems that you guys down south have trouble getting the original formula and the new white sticky version is widely considered to be unsuitable. So if you can find a tube, use it for motors only and it will last you years!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:54 PM

I'm still on the fence about the Triflow grease Cogito. Since the Singer Lubricant in the original formula is hard to find here, I've been thinking about something that might be similar. I thought about my order of screwdriver bits from Brownells Gunsmithing, which got me thinking about this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Slip2000-60341...r_3225971011_8

I don't know if it would work as a Singer Lubricant substitute, but has anyone tried this or any other gun/rifle lubricant?