Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant? >

Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant?

Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Alawai View Post
I'm still on the fence about the Triflow grease Cogito. Since the Singer Lubricant in the original formula is hard to find here, I've been thinking about something that might be similar. I thought about my order of screwdriver bits from Brownells Gunsmithing, which got me thinking about this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Slip2000-60341...r_3225971011_8

I don't know if it would work as a Singer Lubricant substitute, but has anyone tried this or any other gun/rifle lubricant?
hmmm...I cant speak to the appropriateness of this grease...I will leave this to the experts. I still stand by the TriFlow...I buy it from Amazon and I would use nothing else.
On another note.....can't say enough about my Brownell bits! of course they are in my back yard (well almost) and I have been known to drive over there to "see" exactly what I am getting. They are bar none the best for my Singers. jmho.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:19 PM

I agree with Rodney and Miriam. Use one drop of oil where metal meets metal and grease/lubricant for gears. I recommend against oil on gears. Oil can be any brand of actual sewing machine oil or Tri-Flow oil, but certainly NOT WD40, 3 in 1 oil, etc. Lubricant can be Singer lubricant in the small tube, Tri-Flow lubricant (love this stuff!), and some people use petroleum jelly in a pinch. I find Tri-Flow oil and grease to be superior to other brands.

I have never used this before and am unwilling to try it on my beloved machines when Tri-Flow meets the needs of the machines so well:

http://www.amazon.com/Slip2000-60341...r_3225971011_8

This is Singer Lubricant. If you cannot find Tri-Flow lubricant, use this on gears only. Remove the old grease before applying new grease. Here's a link:

http://www.joann.com/singer-sewing-m...t/1046671.html

Do NOT believe JoAnn's description. It is wrong and misleading. They say "Singer® Sewing Machine Lubricant is used to lubricate your sewing machine motor where metal parts come in contact with each another as well as protection against damage from rust. " Now that is confusing. It is NOT used for the sewing machine motor. It is NOT used where metal parts come in contact with each other - that is sewing machine oil. It is used only on gears, those round metal pieces that have teeth that meet with another gear's teeth. If you listen to Joann's, you could harm your machine.

BTW, this lubricant is NOT the same as Singer motor lubricant, which is hard to find, anyhow. I find that I seldom need motor lubricant.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-27-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:12 PM

As Miriam has said many times before, DO NOT USE 3-One Oil! OR WD-40. I'll second that! Only sewing machine oil and for the gears, sewing machine lubricant! And, clean up your machine getting out the lint, thread, etc. !

Jeanette
Old 12-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
hmmm...I cant speak to the appropriateness of this grease...I will leave this to the experts. I still stand by the TriFlow...I buy it from Amazon and I would use nothing else.
On another note.....can't say enough about my Brownell bits! of course they are in my back yard (well almost) and I have been known to drive over there to "see" exactly what I am getting. They are bar none the best for my Singers. jmho.
Kind of pricy but it should do the job
Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 AM

I use nothing but but people powered machines either HC or Treadle. I have found that once a machine is properly cleaned I use sewing machine oil to keep it oiled. I also use tri-flow oil. Both are great products. However I will not mix them. A machine oiled with tri-flow will only be oiled with tri-flow. Likewise a machine oiled with sewing machine will only be oiled with machine oil. This being said once a machine is properly cleaned I can't tell the difference between which one is lubed with machine oil or tri-flow. They key is to keep the machines oiled as needed and you should have no problems.
Skip
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 AM

Threads about the pros and cons of which lubricant to use on sewing machines pop up regularly on nearly every discussion site. They have for years. I would guess that the lack of lubricant has done more damage to machines than the “wrong” lubricant.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 AM

Oh I so agree with you CD, the lack of lubricant is the worst problem.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

no lubricant = rust eventually
Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Agreed! Besides, I figure if the Wright brothers were brave enough to run experiments that eventually had them flying I can try a few of my own on the ground.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Oooh, you lucky! I love Brownells! My screw bit set is backordered. Hope to get it soon!