Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Paper

Sewing Paper

In a recent thread, Steve H mentioned sewing paper/binding books. I thought this topic deserves its own thread!

I have been sewing paper as well; but in a way more like... well.... I ran out of staples a few months ago, and decided it was ridiculous to buy a box of 2000 staples, so now I sew stuff together. Deposit cheque? Sew it to the cover letter! School assignment? Sew those pages together! Income tax filing? Sew my return and receipts together! Envelopes for mailing? Sew them up!

It works well and gives people a real giggle, too. And, staples and paperclips are cruddy in their own special way. Currently, I have designated my F & R handcrank (which works gorgeously, but I am still working on the cosmetic aspects) as my Go-To-Stapler.

I would love to know what others are doing. So far I am only sewing a maximum of 8 - 10 pages at once, and using whatever thread I have on hand, and a regular needle. Steve, I would love to know what funky threads you are using (to be sure, you are using something period-appropriate!)

Also, what is the thickest thread that one might use on a domestic hand-cranks? Is thick thread even desirable for sewing paper? Is thinner thread better? Cotton better than synthetic? I'd love to know more about what people have done.
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

I think I love you more.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

That is a very clever idea Cecilia. I will remember your hint when I eventually run out of staples. I am thinking that using a leather needle with larger thread would work. Definitely worth an experimentation.
    Sweet Caroline

when I did the binding i was using 16 sheets of paper on a Singer 241-12 Industrial, using modern tough poly thread.

Power Poster
    I have sewn paper to make a homemade coupon book but it was so the perforations would allow the coupon to be ripped off easily. I have used thick thread to sew a homemade recipe book binding.

I've been sewing paper envelopes for years. Course I sometimes make fabric envelopes and sew them shut. Ladies at the post office get a little excited. And sometimes the recipient is stumped on how to open them.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Great ideas! I paper piece a lot but never thought of other paper uses.

Blog Entries
    Pic of kids sewing on paper bags:
    Name:  heartnut 006.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  138.1 KB
    Name:  heartnut 011.JPG
Views: 685
Size:  140.0 KB
    good fun activity for kids - no thread - shine a light inside the bag - look at the patterns in the folds - way fun.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    And yes I sew manuals - paper clips get lost. This 23 page manual was sewn on my Consew - it has a walking foot
    Name:  sewing on paper 002.JPG
Views: 690
Size:  133.0 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    You made me giggle. How your mind works. But, seriously, I love your ideas.
    Mavis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast