Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Shall I try and get this machine? >

Shall I try and get this machine?

Shall I try and get this machine?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I took a 401 in trade the other day. Today I tackled it. I knew the stitch selector was frozen. I cleaned and oiled. As I cleaned and oiled I realized it was much worse than I thought it was - the zig zag pins were frozen - the front and back selectors were frozen - the needle arm was not moving at all either. I oiled, gave time out, oiled, took apart things I didn't want apart - oiled, cleaned put things back, still frozen. I took time out. I finally used heat. I hate using heat. After 4 or 5 hours... Now it just needs the tension worked on - I noticed the screw that holds the bobbin tension is very loose. I bet the upper tension has been tampered with, too. The pressure foot tension was all but off - one more turn and I think someone might have been in for a surprise. That will need some adjustment, too.
Miriam, I finally had to resort to heat with mine, plus the Mister put some slight (and I mean "slight")pressure under the camstack thingys while I directed it. I remember you saying not to force anything and not wanting to bend anything. I'm really happy with my machine and appreciate all the help I got from you and Tammi and the other members. Next goal is to try and clean the camstack sections. Have been busy and now out of town so haven't tackled that yet.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Miriam, I finally had to resort to heat with mine, plus the Mister put some slight (and I mean "slight")pressure under the camstack thingys while I directed it. I remember you saying not to force anything and not wanting to bend anything. I'm really happy with my machine and appreciate all the help I got from you and Tammi and the other members. Next goal is to try and clean the camstack sections. Have been busy and now out of town so haven't tackled that yet.
dental pick?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Oh! Good to hear! I didn't realize he had other than 301 and 221/2 parts.
Bath towels are fine if they're not high loft.... loft would be bad...
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 PM

I took a 401 in trade the other day. Today I tackled it. I knew the stitch selector was frozen. I cleaned and oiled. As I cleaned and oiled I realized it was much worse than I thought it was - the zig zag pins were frozen - the front and back selectors were frozen - the needle arm was not moving at all either. I oiled, gave time out, oiled, took apart things I didn't want apart - oiled, cleaned put things back, still frozen. I took time out. I finally used heat. I hate using heat. After 4 or 5 hours... Now it just needs the tension worked on - I noticed the screw that holds the bobbin tension is very loose. I bet the upper tension has been tampered with, too. The pressure foot tension was all but off - one more turn and I think someone might have been in for a surprise. That will need some adjustment, too.
And that's why people charge for a good service. I had a little rant on my blog about it this evening after someone tried to lowball me on a machine. Seriously? A fully serviced machine and you want it for $30? The machine in question took a "mere" 2 hours, but I have parts and other costs into it, and I was supposed to show her how to work it. That would end up being about $8 an hour. Might as well go work at A&W

OK, so I guess my rant wasn't quite done. Sorry.

dental pick?
That would be my choice before removing and cleaning the stack. Unless it's sticking or something, the time investment doesn't pay off. It's just for looks really.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Power Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
And that's why people charge for a good service. I had a little rant on my blog about it this evening after someone tried to lowball me on a machine. Seriously? A fully serviced machine and you want it for $30? The machine in question took a "mere" 2 hours, but I have parts and other costs into it, and I was supposed to show her how to work it. That would end up being about $8 an hour. Might as well go work at A&W

OK, so I guess my rant wasn't quite done. Sorry.

That would be my choice before removing and cleaning the stack. Unless it's sticking or something, the time investment doesn't pay off. It's just for looks really.
If it is still sticking you can just T-F again and mop up. I don't really have a dental pick. I have a crochet hook with no hook - I found it in a sewing machine drawer - Oh and the hook has been ground off to a point. I have another one with a bent end... my favorite tools. I think Harbor Freight has dental tool kits. After yesterday I might go get some though. I love tools.

Tammi, I have to agree with your rant. I love a rant... They don't even show up at my door unless the machine is a ridiculously cheap price to begin with. I have seen some real pros at getting their stuff cheap, too. Then I've seen the 'item' show up for sale elsewhere for more money. I don't know if they get the money for the 'item' or not. (Right now I'm trying to sell a 'hipster kitchen sink' on CL... I've been trying to imagine what a hipster kitchen should look like.... back to subject...) I'm about to the point of putting one of the derelict machines on the front porch - yeah - let it rain - let the Health Department scream and write me nasty letters.... If they want cheap they can haul one away free... maybe it would get rid of the derelict machines, get my price or tick off the health department... with my luck it would be the letter from the HD...

BTW Derelict machine: a sewing machine that sets around my shop, doesn't work, looks awful and stinks. Prior they have lived in sheds, basements, outhouses, garages and have some times been found on the curb. Joe took one home and tried to make it work - I think it sort of does...

Last edited by miriam; 07-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 AM

I bought my 401 and table this summer. I loved this entire post. Thanks, all, for all of the advice. It will help me be a much better 401 owner.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Tammi, I have to agree with your rant. I love a rant... They don't even show up at my door unless the machine is a ridiculously cheap price to begin with. I have seen some real pros at getting their stuff cheap, too. Then I've seen the 'item' show up for sale elsewhere for more money. I don't know if they get the money for the 'item' or not. (Right now I'm trying to sell a 'hipster kitchen sink' on CL... I've been trying to imagine what a hipster kitchen should look like.... back to subject...) I'm about to the point of putting one of the derelict machines on the front porch - yeah - let it rain - let the Health Department scream and write me nasty letters.... If they want cheap they can haul one away free... maybe it would get rid of the derelict machines, get my price or tick off the health department... with my luck it would be the letter from the HD...

BTW Derelict machine: a sewing machine that sets around my shop, doesn't work, looks awful and stinks. Prior they have lived in sheds, basements, outhouses, garages and have some times been found on the curb. Joe took one home and tried to make it work - I think it sort of does...
This is why I haven't tried reselling any of mine. It's far too easy to have more time and parts into a machine than you're likely to ever get back out of it.
Rodney
Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

BAH HA HA - I must have written that about the time the stupid Health Department demanded that we paint the redwood siding on our house so it wouldn't rot... I wasn't out of sorts was I?????
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Your health department sounds like it likes to overstep it's bounds. Put up a No Trespassing sign and make them produce a warrant to come on your property. I've never heard of a health department caring about the exterior paint on a house before, most of them have all they can handle just making sure restaurants aren't poisoning people.
Rodney
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Health Department = gestapo IMHO
My DD who is a real-estate broker says every health department in every city and county in the United States has the power to do that. It is called eminent domain. They can go in neighborhoods such as ours and fish around to try to get us to up grade the property or make us leave - really I think they are trying to make things look good so they can raise taxes. UUMMMM Don't get me started... I have very strong feelings here. What worries me is what happens when we all get really old and they want us to paint that house again - tall ladders vs nursing home??? with a fixed income how do you afford to pay big money to get someone to paint it??? That is only the tip of the iceberg.